Understanding Units of dex^-1 in Number Density Measurements

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter v0lD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Units
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 17K views
v0lD
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I've come across a number density expressed in units of Mpc^-3 dex^-1; I understand the Mpc^-3 but not the dex^-1. I know dex is some kind of log scale with n dex = 10^n but I'm not sure what dex^-1 means and was wondering if anyone could help.

Thanks!
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I got this from google (dex unit)


dex
a logarithmic unit being used in astronomy. Originally, dex was a convenient function defined by dex (x) = 10x. But the notation is now being used after the exponent in expressions such as -.043 dex, meaning 10-.043. Thus 1 dex equals a factor of 10, making the dex identical to the bel. The name "dex" is a contraction of "decimal exponent."
 
Thanks - I'd found that same definition. But I'm still not 100% sure what the dex^-1 means. I mean, if 1 dex is 10 then maybe 1 dex^-1 is 0.1? But if it's just a constant factor of 0.1 to be applied to each data point then it seems pointless :confused:

I've seen Mpc^-3 dex^-1 used in plots in papers so I was hoping it was a common definition that someone would be familiar with.