Convention of units for densities in cosmology

fab13
TL;DR Summary
I would like to know the Convention of units for densities in cosmology : I wonder if consistent units are used by multiplying or dividing with Delta_z
I have a table of densities of galaxies :

Expected number density of galaxies for photometric survey per unit area and redshift intervals, ##\mathrm{d} N / \mathrm{d} \Omega \mathrm{d} z\left[\mathrm{sr}^{-1}\right]## and the corresponding density of galaxies per ##\operatorname{arcmin}^2## for each redshift

zA4EX.png

I wonder if the second row values are correct : indeed, I hesitate between both calculus, for example for the bin :

- case 1

3 / 11818102.860 * 0.119 = 4219062.72 (rounded to 4219063) in units ##\text{d}N/\text{d}\Omega\text{d}z##

OR should I set rather :

- case 2

3 / 11818102.860 / 0.119 = 297935366.218 (rounded to 297935366) in units ##\text{d}N/\text{d}\Omega\text{d}z##

One of both is wrong since I don't know if the units are ##\text{d}N/\text{d}\Omega\text{d}z## or ##\text{d}N/\text{d}\Omega/\text{d}z##.

Could anyone help me what is the convention for the units of the writing ##\text{d}N/\text{d}\Omega\text{d}z## that causes some confusions ( we don't know if we have to multiply or divide by ##\Delta z## ?

What is the convention of units for densities in cosmology?

In cosmology, densities are often expressed in terms of the critical density of the universe, denoted as ρc. This critical density is defined as the average density required for the universe to be flat and is approximately 9.47 x 10^-27 kg/m^3.

Why is the critical density important in cosmology?

The critical density is important because it determines the fate of the universe. If the actual density of the universe is greater than the critical density, the universe is considered closed and will eventually collapse in a Big Crunch. If the actual density is less than the critical density, the universe is open and will continue to expand forever. If the actual density equals the critical density, the universe is flat and will expand at a decelerating rate.

How are densities in cosmology typically expressed?

In cosmology, densities are often expressed as a fraction of the critical density. This dimensionless quantity, denoted as Ω (Omega), is defined as the actual density of the universe divided by the critical density. It allows for a comparison of the actual density to the critical density and helps determine the overall geometry and fate of the universe.

What are common units used to express densities in cosmology?

Common units used to express densities in cosmology include kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3) and grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm^3). However, densities are often normalized to the critical density and expressed as dimensionless quantities (Ω) for ease of comparison and analysis.

How does the convention of units for densities in cosmology impact research and calculations?

The convention of units for densities in cosmology, particularly the use of the critical density as a reference point, allows researchers to standardize their calculations and make meaningful comparisons across different cosmological models. By expressing densities as a fraction of the critical density, researchers can easily determine the overall density of the universe and its implications for cosmic evolution.