Unexpectly captured comet Comet C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comet
In summary, the speaker captured a photo of Comet C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy in the Orion region while taking starfield photos during their trip to the centre of Australia. They later discovered the comet while reviewing their images, and shared their camera settings and updated photos as the moon waned. They also mentioned that the comet may be experiencing a magnetic storm and provided a link for readers to monitor its effects. Another participant in the conversation shared their own photo of the comet and discussed the possibility of "knots" in the comet's tail caused by large clumps of material. The original speaker noted that the comet had already passed from their view, but expressed excitement for the next bright comet.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
well this was an unexpected bonus from my trip to the centre of Australia last week
In the early hours ( ~ 3:30- 4:00 AM) of the last day at Uluru ( Ayres Rock) I decided to get up and do a few starfield photos from a dark sky site

Tonite, going back over my images, I discovered that I captured comet Comet C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy in my pix of the Orion region.
Yes, that faint blue/green blob ( looks much better in the full sized images than on the severely compressed images for the forum
Orion - photo1.JPG

screen dump from Stellarium showing no star in that position
Orion - Stellarium.JPG

comet location map showing correct location for the 29th
comet path.jpg

my camera settings
camera settings.JPG
cheers
Dave

Astronomy news on Phys.org
another showing it a little easier

Orion - photo3.JPG
not too bad for 24mm and 10 sec exposure :)

Likes Andy Resnick
OK just done a quick and nasty pic tonite ( 3rd Jan) very bright moon to contend with :(

2015_01_03_2636sm1.JPG

camera data.JPG

Nice. I'll have to try to find it if the skies clear up.

just got to wait a few days for the moon to wane and move out of the region of the comet
Full moon was 5 Jan

Dave

OK time for an update
the moon has past full by a couple of days and is now much lower in the east
still using the Canon 5D3 and 70-200mm, f2.8, IS II lens

first image has the comet in the upper left and the Orion Nebula, M42 in the lower right
88mm, f2.8, ISO 1000, 10 sec exp

2015_01_07_2700b.jpg

second image is 150mm, f2.8, ISO 1000, 15 sec exp

2015_01_07_2708b.jpg

give another couple of nights and the moon is not going to be a problem
I may head out to a darker site away from the horrid city lights and do some more pix with
telephoto and with telescope

cheers
Dave

From today's edition of Spaceweather.com:

MAGNETIC STORM ON COMET LOVEJOY:
Around the world, observers of bright Comet Lovejoy (C/2014 Q2) are reporting activity in the comet's sinuous blue ion tail. On Feb. 13th, Michael Jäger of Dorfstetten Austriao used a backyard telescope to capture this 'plasma blob' billowing down the tail, away from the comet's core:

lovejoy_strip.jpg

This could be a sign that a magnetic storm in underway. Observers of comets frequently witness plasma blobs and 'disconnection events' in response to CMEs and gusts of solar wind. In extreme cases, a comet's tail can be completely torn off.

The underlying physics is akin to terrestrial geomagnetic storms. When magnetic fields around a comet bump into oppositely-directed magnetic fields in a CME, those fields can link together or "reconnect." The resulting burst of magnetic energy can make waves, blobs, or even ruptures in the comet's tail. When CMEs hit Earth, a similar process takes place in the planet's magnetosphere powering, among other things, the aurora borealis.

Readers who wish to monitor the effects of space weather on Lovejoy should look toward the constellation Andromeda high in the northern sky after sunset: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/observing-news/comet-lovejoy-shines/. The comet is shining like a 5th magnitude star, barely visible to the unaided eye from dark-sky locations, but an easy target for telescopes and binoculars. For pinpoint guidance of optics, use this ephemeris from the Minor Planet Center.

Likes davenn
NIce one :smile:

Sometimes "knots/lumps" like that in the tail are also caused by large clumps of material
coming off the nucleus

Its long gone from our skies 2 - 3 weeks ago :frown:
just look forward to the next reasonably bright one

Dave

Last edited:
Likes Dotini

1. What is Comet C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy?

Comet C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy is a long-period comet that was discovered on August 17, 2014 by Australian amateur astronomer Terry Lovejoy.

2. How did Comet C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy get its name?

The comet was named after its discoverer, Terry Lovejoy, who has discovered five comets to date.

3. Where is Comet C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy located?

The comet is currently located in the constellation Taurus and can be seen in the southern hemisphere with binoculars or a small telescope.

4. How long will Comet C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy be visible?

The comet will be visible until around mid-February 2015, after which it will fade from view as it moves away from the Sun.

5. What makes Comet C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy unique?

This comet is unique because it was not expected to survive its close encounter with the Sun in January 2015, but it has managed to survive and continue on its journey, making it a rare and unexpected occurrence in the world of comets.