Uniform circular motion question

In summary, the conversation discusses the diagrams for an object in four different locations being swung around in a circle with constant velocity. The equations for the forces and accelerations in each location are reviewed and it is questioned whether the acceleration can have separate components in the positive y direction. The idea of uniform circular motion and the use of a coordinate system with a positive y axis at the center point are also mentioned.
Miike012
Please look at the picture...
It is of a blue object in four locations that is swung around with a rope ( red line ) in a circle with constant velocity...

I wanted to know if my diagrams are correct for each separate location... and I was hoping someone could check my work below to tell me if it is correct...

1. ƩFx = 0; ƩFy = -T - W = (m)(a) and T = W

2. ƩFx = -T - W = (m)(a) ƩFy = 0 and T> W

3. ƩFx = 0; ƩFy = +T - W = (m)(a) and T>W

4. ƩFx = T - W = (m)(a) ƩFy = 0 and T>W

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
And for an object somewhere other than the first four points... would the objects have both nonzero acceleration for ƩFx and ƩFy ?

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 376
Is the angular velocity constant? If so, then there will be no acceleration "around" the loop. The idea is that the object has centripital(sp?) acceleration towards the center. As the thing moves around the circle, the reference frame changes along with it. If acceleration is always pointing in the positive y (or whatever you called the center), then it can't have separate components can it?

I never said acceleration was around the circle... if you noticed I always said acceleration points to the sum of the vectors which is in the direction of Tension force...
I added another picture with a coordinate axis... I am not sure if it will make a diff,,,?

And velocity is constant, I mentioned uniform circular motion...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
I was referring to this:

Miike012 said:
And for an object somewhere other than the first four points... would the objects have both nonzero acceleration for ƩFx and ƩFy ?

Which the answer would have been no if you were using the coordinate system where the center point is positive y regardless of where the object is around the circle. (A polar type grid).

If you use the grid in your image then yes. Acceleration will have component vectors for the times when the object is not at 0, pi/2, pi, etc. which would have to be summed in your forces.

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is constantly changing its direction, but its speed remains the same.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

The main difference between these two types of motion is that in uniform circular motion, the speed remains constant, while in non-uniform circular motion, the speed changes at different points along the circular path. In other words, the object is accelerating in non-uniform circular motion, but not in uniform circular motion.

3. Is centripetal force the same as centrifugal force?

No, centripetal force and centrifugal force are not the same. Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is an outward force that appears to act on an object moving in a circular path. Centrifugal force is actually just an inertial force that arises from the object's tendency to continue moving in a straight line.

4. What is the role of centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, centripetal force is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path. This force is directed towards the center of the circle and is equal in magnitude to the object's mass multiplied by its speed squared, divided by the radius of the circle.

5. Can an object in uniform circular motion have a constant speed but changing velocity?

Yes, an object in uniform circular motion can have a constant speed but changing velocity. This is because velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account the object's speed and direction of motion. In uniform circular motion, the object is constantly changing its direction, therefore its velocity is also changing, even though its speed remains constant.