Is the Left Angle of the CKM Unitarity Triangle Really Pi Minus Gamma?

In summary, the unitarity triangle, defined by the equation ##V_{ud}V_{ub}^{*}+V_{cd}V_{cb}^{*}+V_{td}V_{tb}^{*}=0##, shows that the left angle is ##\pi - \gamma##. However, when attempting to verify this result, the calculation gives ##\gamma - \beta_s## instead. It is unclear whether this is due to a misunderstanding of the unitarity triangle or a mistake in the lecture notes.
Valeriia Lukashenko

Homework Statement

I want to proof for $$V_{us}V^{*}_{ub}+V_{cs}V^{*}_{cb}+V_{ts}V^{*}_{tb}=0$$ unitarity triangle that left angle is $$\pi-\gamma$$ (see below picture from my lecture notes).

b22b2a512910t.jpg

Homework Equations

[/B]
$$\gamma \approx - arg(V_{ub})$$
$$\beta_s \approx arg(V_{ts})+\pi$$
$$arg(V_{us}V_{ub}^{*})=arg(V_{ub}^{*})$$
since only Vub*has an imaginry part on this order of Wolfstein parametrization.
$$arg(V_{ts}V_{tb}^{*})=arg(V_{ts})$$
same reason

Vcs and Vcb* are real.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's call the angle we want to know δ.

$$\delta=\pi+arg(V_{us}V_{ub}^{*})-arg(V_{ts}V_{tb}^{*})=\pi+arg(V_{ub}^{*})-arg(V_{ts})=\pi - arg(V_{ub})+\pi - \beta_s =2\pi -(\beta_s+arg(V_{ub}))=-(\beta_s-\gamma)=\gamma-\beta_s$$

and it is not equal to π-γ.
Could anyone, please, check my solution, because I don't get where my mistake is.

Attachments

• b22b2a512910t.jpg
    b22b2a512910t.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 673
Physics news on Phys.org
Valeriia Lukashenko said:

Homework Statement

I want to proof for $$V_{us}V^{*}_{ub}+V_{cs}V^{*}_{cb}+V_{ts}V^{*}_{tb}=0$$ unitarity triangle that left angle is $$\pi-\gamma$$ (see below picture from my lecture notes).

What do you mean by "proof for"? If you assume unitarity of the CKM matrix, it follows directly from one of the elements of the unitarity condition ##V^\dagger V = 1##. If you want to have an experimental confirmation of this you need to measure each of the elements. If you want to know why those numbers form a triangle in the complex plane, it is a simple matter of addition of complex numbers.

Orodruin said:
What do you mean by "proof for"? If you assume unitarity of the CKM matrix, it follows directly from one of the elements of the unitarity condition ##V^\dagger V = 1##. If you want to have an experimental confirmation of this you need to measure each of the elements. If you want to know why those numbers form a triangle in the complex plane, it is a simple matter of addition of complex numbers.

Yeah, I guess I was not clear in my question. So, ##\gamma## is defined using "The" unitarity triangle (##V_{ud}V_{ub}^{*}+V_{cd}V_{cb}^{*}+V_{td}V_{tb}^{*}=0##). In the triangle above ##\gamma## appears again. In the picture, it appears in left angle ##\pi - \gamma##. I tried to check if this is correct and it didn't work. The result that I get is ##\gamma-\beta_s## for the same angle. I couldn't find any references to cross-check the above triangle (usually one draws "The" unitarity triangle and very schematically other without indicating angles). And I am trying to get is it my lack of understanding of how to properly build/work with unitarity triangle, so I don't get the right answer or my answer is correct and there is a mistake in lecture notes.

What are the Unitarity Triangle angles?

The Unitarity Triangle angles are three angles that describe the relationship between the quark mixing parameters in the Standard Model of particle physics. They are known as the Alpha, Beta, and Gamma angles.

How are the Unitarity Triangle angles measured?

The Unitarity Triangle angles are measured through a combination of experimental data and theoretical calculations. Scientists use a variety of high-energy particle accelerators and detectors to study the behavior of quarks and measure their mixing parameters.

What is the significance of the Unitarity Triangle angles?

The Unitarity Triangle angles are important because they provide a way to test the consistency of the Standard Model and search for new physics beyond it. Any deviations from the expected values of the angles could indicate the presence of new particles or interactions.

What are the current values of the Unitarity Triangle angles?

The current measured values of the Unitarity Triangle angles are approximately Alpha = 90°, Beta = 22°, and Gamma = 67°. These values are known with varying degrees of precision and are subject to ongoing research and refinement.

What challenges do scientists face in determining the Unitarity Triangle angles?

Determining the Unitarity Triangle angles is a complex and challenging task due to the large number of parameters involved and the difficulty in measuring them accurately. Scientists must also account for various sources of uncertainty and potential systematic errors in their measurements and calculations.