United States Physics 1 With Calculus - Gravitation

In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equation, but made some errors. They were able to calculate the force of gravity on the point mass due to the line mass, but were not able to solve for the final answer.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

See Attachment

Calculate the force of gravity on the point mass due to the line mass in terms of the gravitational constant G, m, M, D, and L. The line mass has a uniform density.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so apparently I'm suppose to consider the point at were the point mass is to be the origin of the Cartesian coordinate system. To the right of this point is positive. Up from this point is positive. Below this point is negative. If the dotted line is extended through the line mass than the y components of the gravity contributed by the infinitismal masses were cancel each other out directly.

See Attachment

I get (G m M L)/(D sqrt(D^2 + L^2/4) )
in my paper I accidentally put

(G m M L)/(D^2 sqrt(D^2 + L^2/4) )
by accident

for some reason I feel as if this answer is wrong and was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem. I question if I'm really suppose to multiply it by two. It thought that I was suppose to because the horizontal components add together directly.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 372
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
I used λ = M/L for the linear mass density and ended up with a slightly different integral.
If you look carefully at the step where you first use the integral sign, the dimensions are not correct. The dL cancels one of the L's on the bottom, so you have dimensions of GMm/L instead of GMm/L². If you write dF = GM*dm/R² where dm = λ*dL, it is easier to see (I left out the cosine). There is a similar mistake in the very last step, replacing a D with a D² or you would have seen that the dimensions were wrong in the end.

You were wise to integrate 0 to L/2 and multiply by 2. I did -L/2 to L/2 and it was a little more awkward to work out.

Is

(2GmM)/(D sqrt(D^2 + L^2/4) )

what you got for the final answer?

Without the 2. I never had a 2. Your 2 disappeared when you evaluated at L/2.

Right, thanks for the help.

Most welcome.

1. How is gravitation defined in United States Physics 1 With Calculus?

In United States Physics 1 With Calculus, gravitation is defined as the force of attraction between two objects due to their mass and distance.

2. What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = G * (m1 * m2 / r^2), where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation and Einstein's Theory of General Relativity?

Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation describes gravity as a force between two objects, while Einstein's Theory of General Relativity explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

4. How does the mass and distance between two objects affect gravitational force?

The greater the mass of the two objects, the greater the gravitational force between them. Similarly, the closer the objects are to each other, the stronger the gravitational force will be.

5. What are some real-life applications of gravitation studied in United States Physics 1 With Calculus?

Some real-life applications of gravitation studied in United States Physics 1 With Calculus include understanding the motion of planets and satellites, analyzing the orbits of celestial bodies, and calculating the gravitational force between objects on Earth.