Units Systems, Dimensions & Dimensional Analysis Overview

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for online materials on units, unit systems, dimensions, and dimensional analysis. They specifically want a summary or introduction, not targeted towards complete beginners. One person suggests a reference from archive.org, while another mentions a chapter in Mechanics by Landau and Lifgarbagez that discusses dimensional analysis and scaling arguments. However, the original person is not looking for a whole book, but rather a shorter pdf document.
kexue
I'm searching for an online text on units, units systems, dimensions, dimensional analysis and so forth. A nice overview or summary, or an introduction not geared to the complete beginner. Has anybody a good link?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, Robby!

Anybody else?

I don't see how one could write a whole textbook on dimensional analysis. It seems to me that you could summarize the whole thing in 10 pages or so. Regardless, I've never heard of such a book but I'd just see the first chapter of any introductory physics book

There's a nice chapter in Mechanics by Landau and Lifgarbagez
that discusses how one can deduce the form of some physics formulas
using "mechanical similarity", which is related to dimensional analysis and scaling arguments.
It is unlikely that such a discussion would be in an introductory text.

Well, that's why I'm not looking for a book, but for some material on the net, some 20 pages pdf or so.

Related to Units Systems, Dimensions & Dimensional Analysis Overview

1. What is a unit system?

A unit system is a set of standard units used to measure physical quantities. These units are chosen based on their convenience and relevance to the field of study.

2. What are the three main unit systems?

The three main unit systems are the SI (International System of Units), CGS (Centimeter-Gram-Second), and FPS (Foot-Pound-Second) systems. The SI system is the most widely used and is based on seven base units: meter, kilogram, second, ampere, kelvin, mole, and candela.

3. What is the purpose of dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to check the consistency of physical equations and to convert between different unit systems. It involves breaking down a physical quantity into its fundamental dimensions and checking if the units on both sides of the equation are the same.

4. Why is it important to use units in scientific measurements?

Using units in scientific measurements is important because it ensures consistency and accuracy in reporting and interpreting data. Units also provide a universal language for scientists to communicate their findings with others in the scientific community.

5. Can different unit systems be used together in calculations?

Yes, different unit systems can be used together in calculations as long as they are properly converted to a common unit. Dimensional analysis is a useful tool for converting between unit systems in calculations.