Universal Gravitation and Gravitational Field Question

N. Also, you can either state the direction of the net force in your answer, or use the magnitude like you have done. So you can say 'The net gravitational force on the rocket is 4.48 N towards the Earth and away from the Moon.' or just 'The net gravitational force on the rocket is 4.48 N.'
EE123

Homework Statement

The Earth has a mass of 5.98x10^24 kg and the moon has a mass of 7.35x10^22 kg. The distance from the centre of the moon to the centre of the Earth is 3.84x10^8 m. A rocket with a total mass of 1200 kg is 3.0x10^8 m from the centre of the Earth and directly in between Earth and the moon. Find the net gravitational force on the rocket from the Earth and moon.

Homework Equations

Fg = Gm1m2 / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the above is the equation I'm suppose to be using. I have hard time grasping this concept :S.

And this is what I did

Fg on the rocket to the earth:

Fg = (6.67x10^-11)(5.98x10^24)(1200) / (3.0x10^8)^2

Fg = 5.3182 N

Fg on the rocket to the moon:

Fg = (6.67x10^-11)(7.35x10^22)(1200) / (3.0x10^8 + 3.84x10^8)^2

Fg = (6.67x10^-11)(7.35x10^22)(1200) / (6.84 x10^9)^2

Fg = 1.2574 x 10^-4 N

Fgnet = 5.3182 N + 1.2574 x 10^-4 N

Fgnet = 5.3183 N

I'm not sure if this is correct or not :S. From my understanding it seems to be. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
EE123 said:
And this is what I did

Fg on the rocket to the earth:

Fg = (6.67x10^-11)(5.98x10^24)(1200) / (3.0x10^8)^2

Fg = 5.3182 N
Looks good.

Fg on the rocket to the moon:

Fg = (6.67x10^-11)(7.35x10^22)(1200) / (3.0x10^8 + 3.84x10^8)^2
You want the distance from rocket to moon. How might you figure that out? Draw a diagram!

Fg = (6.67x10^-11)(7.35x10^22)(1200) / (6.84 x10^9)^2

Fg = 1.2574 x 10^-4 N

Fgnet = 5.3182 N + 1.2574 x 10^-4 N
Why did you add the forces? Do they point in the same direction?

Hi EE123. The gravitational force due to the Earth seems to be correct. But for the moon, the equation [itex]F=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}[/itex] where r is the separation of mass 1 and mass 2. The rocket is between the Earth and the Moon and you know the distance from the Earth to the rocket and from the Earth to the moon, so you should be able to get r from that, it isn't 3.0x10^8 + 3.84x10^8. Also another thing is the force on the rocket due to the moon is in the opposite direction to the force on the rocket due to the Earth, so the net force won't be adding both values.

Sleepy_time said:
Hi EE123. The gravitational force due to the Earth seems to be correct. But for the moon, the equation [itex]F=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}[/itex] where r is the separation of mass 1 and mass 2. The rocket is between the Earth and the Moon and you know the distance from the Earth to the rocket and from the Earth to the moon, so you should be able to get r from that, it isn't 3.0x10^8 + 3.84x10^8. Also another thing is the force on the rocket due to the moon is in the opposite direction to the force on the rocket due to the Earth, so the net force won't be adding both values.

Hi guys and thank you!And thank you very much for clarification sleepy_time, I appreciate it.

So would it be this then?

distance from rocket to the moon:

Δd = 3.84E8 - 3.0E 8
Δd = 8.4E7 m

Thus,

Fg = (6.67E-11)(7.35E22)(1200) / (8.4E7)^2

Fg = 0.83375 N

FgNet = 5.3182 + (-0.83375 N)

FgNet = 4.48445 N

FgNet = 4.50 N

Can you please explain the following: "the force on the rocket due to the moon is in the opposite direction to the force on the rocket due to the Earth"

EE123 said:
Can you please explain the following: "the force on the rocket due to the moon is in the opposite direction to the force on the rocket due to the Earth"
Well, since the rocket lies on a straight line in between Earth and the moon, the moon pulls on the rocket in one direction (towards the moon), and the Earth pulls on the rocket in the exact opposite direction (towards the Earth). This is shown in the diagram below. In the diagram, "E" is the earth, "M" is the moon, "R" is the rocket, and arrows show the directions of the two gravitational forces on the rocket. They oppose each other.

Code:
E <--------- R ------> M

cepheid said:
Well, since the rocket lies on a straight line in between Earth and the moon, the moon pulls on the rocket in one direction (towards the moon), and the Earth pulls on the rocket in the exact opposite direction (towards the Earth). This is shown in the diagram below. In the diagram, "E" is the earth, "M" is the moon, "R" is the rocket, and arrows show the directions of the two gravitational forces on the rocket. They oppose each other.

Code:
E <--------- R ------> M

Okay, thank you! So is my calculation correct??

EE123 said:
Okay, thank you! So is my calculation correct??
Yes I believe it is. Just careful with rounding your answer. Rounding 4.48446... will give 4.5N (1d.p.) or 4.48N (2d.p.)

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a physical law that describes the force of attraction between any two objects with mass. It states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the gravitational field affect objects?

The gravitational field is a region of space surrounding a mass where another mass will experience a force of attraction. This force causes objects to accelerate towards the center of the field, following the direction of the field lines. The strength of the gravitational field decreases with distance from the mass.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to gravity?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, whereas weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field. For example, an object will have a different weight on Earth compared to the moon, but its mass will remain the same.

4. How does the distance between two objects affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity decreases. For example, if two objects are moved twice as far apart, the force of gravity between them becomes four times weaker.

5. Can the gravitational force between two objects ever be zero?

No, according to the law of universal gravitation, the force of gravity between two objects will always exist as long as they have mass. However, the force may be very small if the objects are placed far apart or have a very small mass. Objects also experience other forces, such as electromagnetic or nuclear forces, which can counteract the force of gravity.