Universe is made of baryonic matter

In summary, dark energy is vacuum energy, dark matter is made of baryonic matter and photons, and their contributions are currently negligible, but their density increases as the universe expands.
koolmodee
So they say the universe is made of baryonic matter, dark matter and dark energy.

What about photons?

Space news on Phys.org

Photons are the quanta of the EM force.

Photons do indeed contribute to the comoving density, its just that their contribution is currently quite small and can be neglected in most calculations. At high redshift, in the early universe, their contribution was non-negligible and you have to take them into account.

Thanks for the answers!

But I'm not quite satisfied yet. Was their contribution non-negligible only in the early universe? Is it present universe negligible?

Alright, when I think of it, converting only a tenth of the baryonic mass into electromagnetic radiation, that would add incredible many more photons to the universe, so I guess they are negligible.

koolmodee said:
Thanks for the answers!

But I'm not quite satisfied yet. Was their contribution non-negligible only in the early universe? Is it present universe negligible?

Let [itex]a ( t ) [/itex] be the time-dependent scale factor of the universe. In an expanding universe, [itex]a ( t ) [/itex] increases as [itex]t[/itex] increases. Assume that dark energy is vacuum energy, so that, in terms of energy/mass density, the three main components of the universe are radiation, matter, and vacuum energy.

As the universe expands, the densities of radiation and matter decrease. The density of matter is inversely proportional to [itex]a ( t )^3 [/itex], one factor of [itex]a ( t )[/itex] for each dimension of space.

As the universe expands, the number density of photons is inversely proportional to the same factor, [itex]a ( t )^3 [/itex]. The energy density of radiation includes an additional factor of [itex]a ( t )[/itex] because the wavelengths of radiation scale as [itex]a ( t )[/itex] (wavelengths expand along with the universe), and energy of radiation is inversely proportional to wavelength, so that the density of radiation is inversely proportional to [itex]a ( t )^4[/itex].

Since the expansion of space is, roughly, the addition of more of the same vacuum, the vacuum energy density is constant in time.

Comparing the time-evolution properties of the three components shows that there is a time [itex]t_1[/itex] before which radiation dominated, and a time [itex]t_2 > t_1[/itex] after which the vacuum dominates. Relative values of the densities for our universe are such that between [itex]t_1[/itex] and [itex]t_2[/itex] matter dominates.

thanks! I remember I read something like that in Barbara Ryden cosmology book, but forgot it all. many thanks

1. What is baryonic matter?

Baryonic matter is a type of matter that makes up all the elements found in the periodic table. It is composed of protons, neutrons, and electrons, which are the building blocks of atoms.

2. How much of the universe is made of baryonic matter?

Scientists estimate that baryonic matter makes up about 5% of the total mass of the universe. The rest of the universe is composed of dark matter and dark energy, which are still not fully understood.

3. How is baryonic matter distributed in the universe?

Baryonic matter is found in various forms, including stars, planets, gas, and dust. It is distributed throughout the universe in clusters and filaments, with large voids in between them.

4. How do scientists study baryonic matter?

Scientists study baryonic matter through various methods, such as observing the light and radiation emitted by different objects in the universe. They also use advanced telescopes and instruments, such as the Hubble Space Telescope, to study the composition and behavior of baryonic matter.

5. What is the significance of baryonic matter in understanding the universe?

Baryonic matter plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and evolution of the universe. It provides insight into the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets, and helps scientists understand the distribution of matter in the universe. Studying baryonic matter also allows scientists to test and refine theories about the origins and fate of the universe.