University of Chicago, Brown University or Cornell?

• Schools
  • Thread starter LMB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, my son is interested in studying Applied Math and Physics as an undergraduate and has narrowed down his choices to the University of Chicago, Brown or Cornell. They all seem like wonderful places for an undergraduate education. He tends to like the location of Chicago or Providence a bit more than Ithaca. We are wondering if all of these programs will give him a solid chance at acceptance to a top ranked graduate program. The University of Chicago seems to have a stronger physics program and access to national labs such as Argonne and Fermi. He is also drawn to the open curriculum and applied math program at Brown. I would appreciate any advice you may have.If he likes the atmosphere at Chicago and is okay with having the core, he
LMB
My son is interested in studying Applied Math and Physics as an undergraduate and has narrowed down his choices to the University of Chicago, Brown or Cornell. They all seem like wonderful places for an undergraduate education. He tends to like the location of Chicago or Providence a bit more than Ithaca.

We are wondering if all of these programs will give him a solid chance at acceptance to a top ranked graduate program. The University of Chicago seems to have a stronger physics program and access to national labs such as Argonne and Fermi. He is also drawn to the open curriculum and applied math program at Brown. I would appreciate any advice you may have.

Physics news on Phys.org
If he likes the atmosphere at Chicago and is okay with having the core, he should definitely go there. The campus is very beautiful and it's about fifteen minutes from the loop. Two of my friends are first year PhD students, in physics and astrophysics respectively, and they both absolutely love it there. When I visited the department when I was considering it for grad school (it was one of my top three choices) I really liked the professors and the department overall. I also have a few friends who did undergrad there and they all really liked it. I would say that Chicago students were among the top five most represented schools at open houses for top 10 physics grad programs I went to. Cornell would be in that list too. Chicago is also putting a lot of money into the physics department. They've built a new building, have hired some great new faculty members, and recently created the institute of molecular engineering.

Cornell is also great for physics and has a great department. My friends who went there had a great time. However, Ithaca is very remote and someone who wants an urban environment may not be happy there. Greek life has a much bigger presence there which can be good or bad depending on what you want.
While Brown is a great institution and will provide him with a great education, it's physics department is just not the same caliber as Cornell or Chicago.

Thanks for the feedback. We are going to tour the schools and make a final decision soon. He does like the enthusiasm and positive environment at Brown -- hopefully he will like Chicago or Cornell too! I'm sure he will do well and be able to study math and physics at any of the schools. Thanks again -- it is very helpful to hear about graduate student experiences at these schools.

1. What majors are offered at University of Chicago?

The University of Chicago offers a wide range of majors, including but not limited to: Biology, Economics, Computer Science, Psychology, English, Sociology, and Political Science.

2. How competitive is the admissions process at Brown University?

The admissions process at Brown University is highly competitive, with an acceptance rate of only 7%. However, the university also takes into account a variety of factors beyond just grades and test scores in their decision-making process.

3. What sets Cornell University apart from other Ivy League schools?

Cornell University is the only Ivy League school that offers a comprehensive range of majors in both the arts and sciences. Additionally, Cornell is known for its unique and diverse campus culture, as well as its strong commitment to research and innovation.

4. How does the campus life at University of Chicago differ from that of Brown University?

The campus life at University of Chicago is known for its intellectual rigor and academic intensity, with a strong focus on the humanities and social sciences. On the other hand, Brown University has a more laid-back and liberal arts-focused campus culture, with a strong emphasis on student autonomy and self-directed learning.

5. Are there opportunities for undergraduate research at Cornell University?

Yes, Cornell University has a strong focus on undergraduate research, with various programs and opportunities for students to engage in hands-on research projects with faculty mentors. The university also offers funding and resources for students to pursue their own research interests.