Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Up for Auction! PF Member Faux Auction

1. Dec 9, 2014 #1
    List the item you would most like to get rid of here on the PF faux auction.

1998 Yard Machines lawn tractor. Purchased new at Montgomery Wards. Mower deck is not included. This is the only lawn tractor that I have seen in an online auction that does not have a dead battery. Opening bid $600

2j5nhjo.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2014 #2
    Ok so that opening bid may be a bit high. How about $500 and you also get this space age technology grading machine that is pulled behind the tractor. You can grade your driveway or drag you corral.

2z5loo9.jpg

4. Dec 9, 2014 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a hen who keeps finding her way out of the chicken enclosure. The enclosure she so hates has a covered, dry area with food (all you can eat!) and water (a heater keeps the water liquid), and inside the coop it's dry and heated (YES HEATED!!!1!!!). Wall-to-wall hay and wood chips. There are three nest boxes to lay eggs - since there are only 5 chickens there will almost certainly be no wait for a nest.

The outside area has many species of plants and bugs, and is bigger than most homes. It is completely fenced (no coyotes), and netted (no hawks, owls, or eagles or random raptors).

But does this one dumb hen appreciate any of it? No she does not!!!! She spends all of her time and her limited bandwidth of a "brain" trying to figure a way out of this apparent hell.

So. One hen. She's dumb. She's unappreciative. She's free.

5. Dec 9, 2014 #4
    My neighbor gave me a hen that turned out to be a rooster. But I will take that hen. I will even give you $10 off on the lawn tractor. I will also bring that opening bid down to $400

This tractor has had the oil changed at least twice and that scraper grader thing that goes with it is very versatile. Just pull on the green rope and it flips up on the wheels and locks in place to dump a load of dirt or move it to your next project. Just look at all you get. The rear bumper from a 1972 international Harvester pickum up truck (worth hundreds) , a three foot long grading stake, numerous nuts, bolts, pipes and clamps. This is not junk this was a Lockheed prototype landing gear.

2hi0d41.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  6. Dec 9, 2014 #5
    Handmade ceramic flatfish. $125,000

Flatfish_zpsb7de8998.jpg

7. Dec 9, 2014 #6
    Wow what is the size of the flatfish? I am tempted to take it size unseen.

8. Dec 9, 2014 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'll give you $125 for the fish!

oh geeze edward, the stuff I gave away when i moved, tens of thousands of dollars worth of new stuff
    a brand new Kenmore top of the line refrigerator (cost me nearly $3k), beautiful handmade walnut and maple furniture, artisan pieces worth a fortune, no place for them. Kenmore washer and dryer. China, crystal, furs (yeah, I had thousand dollar furs), you name it, I had it. My ex gave me 2 weeks to get everything out after he bought the house from me. I had to leave almost all of it behind. I was moving into a small one bedroom apartment and was having major surgery.

9. Dec 9, 2014 #8
    You gave away all of that! The chances of selling my lawn tractor aren't looking so good.

I need to edit this. I am so sorry that you had to go through that Evo.

10. Dec 9, 2014 #9

Evo

Gave away the lawn tractor too. Gave away a car to charity.

11. Dec 9, 2014 #10
    The Lawn tractor is really just a joke. The thing is a piece of junk. I wouldn't give someone that grief. I will sell it on a PF FAUX auction however. Edit: I have give several cars to charity.

12. Dec 9, 2014 #11

Evo

So, can i have the fish?

13. Dec 9, 2014 #12

RonL

Gold Member

I feel bad for Evo as well:L

14. Dec 9, 2014 #13

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A spare tire. Modestly sized, but still young-ish and full of potential. Already perfectly obscuring all signs of the once-proud Six-Pack underneath. With proper nurture can grow in girth and prominence.
    Opening bid: one case of good European lager.
    TccqznYl.jpg
    (pick up only; belt and jeans not included; hand optional)

15. Dec 9, 2014 #14
    Hmm I could definitely use a spare hand. The way I see this is that the case of European lager would give you the spare tire back again.

16. Dec 9, 2014 #15

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd just auction it again! A self-sustaining business model, if I've ever seen one.

17. Dec 9, 2014 #16

Danger

Gold Member

Damn! You should put a "spoiler alert" notice in front of that. I was kind of looking forward to figuring out what that bumper was from. (In all honesty, though, I probably would have given up before getting around to a cornbinder. I was thinking Pontiac originally.)

That's exactly the sort of thing that I would always drag home to use for parts in other projects.
    Not as much as you might think, sonny. And thanks to your bid request, we know that it's a lager 6-pack, not a pilsner one.

18. Dec 10, 2014 #17
    Last offer of the evening on the lawn tractor in the OP. $300 and I will include a NASA style super scooper which is also pulled behind the tractor. It was never a wheel barrow it just looks like it might have been.
    When You scape up dirt into piles with the scraper you will need a way to move it where you want it. With minimal effort on your part the super scooper can do that.

1z4gaj7.jpg

Note: That lawn tractor couldn't pull diddly squat until I put those knobby ATV tires on the back.

19. Dec 10, 2014 #18

Danger

Gold Member

I must say, Eddie old bean, that you have some of the cleverest and coolest "accessories" that I've ever seen. :approve:
    Good job!

20. Dec 10, 2014 #19
    Those were tools of necessity that I had to come up with when I realized that I could no longer do manual pick and shovel and move it with a wheel barrow type of work. I even hitch up an old front tine tiller to the back of that tractor. I tend to collect old stuff too. Most of the equipment, if you can call it that, was made from stuff I had laying around. Part of my motivation was meeting the challenge.

21. Dec 10, 2014 #20

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I will gladly purchase your tractor thingy on Tuesday, if you will convince your daughter to purchase my $3000 La-Z-Boy recliner in the morning.
    She is, as I recall, my next door neighbor.

ps. I was going to come down and visit you, as my friend, acquaintance, ok, I don't really like her, is spending the winter in Needles. My cousin lives in Phoenix, and my sister lives in San Diego, so I thought I'd kill 3 or more birds with one stone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook