Update on the laptop/notebook market

• Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
In summary, the HP Probook 450 G6 is a good laptop for running day-to-day programs. It has an Intel Core i7 8th Gen processor, three USB ports, one HDMI port, one ethernet port, one USB C port (not Thunderbolt), one headphone port, and a 65W charger. It has two RAM slots and comes preinstalled with an 8GB RAM. The front camera has low resolution. For smooth running of day-to-day programs, it is recommended to use Linux.
dRic2
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Do you have any suggestion for a good portable laptop?
I've been with macbook air since 2015 but it died unexpectedly a week ago. I really have no clue about new laptop/notebook brands and power capability. I mainly look for portability (I like light laptops) and smoothness while running day-to-day programs like office suite, chrome, MATLAB ecc... I don't have particular requests in terms of power/speed. Sometimes I like to record guitar (I have an external audio interface). I need Linux, so I would probably go dual boot with ubuntu if I go for a windows pc. My budget is good but I'd prefer to save up a little bit so I think I won't go for a macbook again. Do you have any model/brands in mind I could check?

Thanks, and sorry if a tread like this pops up a million times.

Computer science news on Phys.org
dRic2 said:
Do you have any model/brands in mind I could check?
My HP Probook 450 G6 is working fine, except some disruptions caused by Windows. It came with Windows 10 Professional, Intel Core i7 8th Gen processor (four cores). I had to buy MS Office separately. You can of course dual boot it with Linux. Three USB ports, one HDMI port, one ethernet port, one USB C port (not Thunderbolt), one headphone port, and a 65W charger. Using the BIOS, you can limit the battery maximum charge to 80% so as to extend the battery life. It has two RAM slots and comes preinstalled with an 8GB RAM. I increased that to 16GB. The front camera, however, has very low resolution.

I have MATLAB too, but I use Android Studio more often (on the NVIDIA GPU rather than integrated graphics).

For smooth running of day to day programs, it is recommended to use Linux because Windows Updates are often very irritating.

Likes dRic2
Hi, I looked up your laptop and similar products and I think I got some ideas. Anyways, since I don't really care about graphics and the only relatively heavy programs I run are MATLAB and maybe some recording stuff do you think it's worth to go for a 1000$ laptop ? I mean, what do you think about a laptop like this one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085JBXLH7/?tag=pfamazon01-20 ?

1. What are the current trends in the laptop/notebook market?

The current trend in the laptop/notebook market is towards thinner, lighter, and more powerful devices. There is also a growing demand for 2-in-1 convertible laptops and gaming laptops. Additionally, there has been an increase in the adoption of touchscreen technology and the use of solid-state drives (SSD) instead of traditional hard drives.

2. How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected the laptop/notebook market?

The COVID-19 pandemic has greatly impacted the laptop/notebook market. With the shift to remote work and online learning, there has been a surge in demand for laptops, resulting in supply shortages and increased prices. There has also been a decrease in sales of high-end laptops as consumers prioritize affordability and functionality over luxury features.

3. What are the top brands in the laptop/notebook market?

The top brands in the laptop/notebook market include Apple, HP, Dell, Lenovo, and ASUS. These brands consistently rank high in terms of sales, customer satisfaction, and product quality. However, there are also many emerging brands that offer competitive products at lower prices, such as Acer and Xiaomi.

4. Is there a difference between a laptop and a notebook?

Technically, there is no difference between a laptop and a notebook. These terms are often used interchangeably to refer to the same type of portable computer. However, some may argue that laptops typically have larger screens and more powerful processors, while notebooks are smaller and more lightweight.

5. What advancements can we expect to see in the laptop/notebook market in the near future?

In the near future, we can expect to see advancements in laptop/notebook technology such as faster and more efficient processors, improved battery life, and better graphics capabilities. There will also likely be a continued trend towards thinner and lighter devices, as well as the integration of new technologies such as 5G connectivity and artificial intelligence.