Uranium density in fuel meat/kernel

In summary, the uranium density in fuel kernel is 4.5 g/cm3 and the UO2 density in the dispersion is ~5.1 g/cm3. The density would be low because the U, in the form of UO2, is dispersed in Al-Si alloy.
nuclearsneke
TL;DR Summary
Tl;dr - why is it so low and how to get the right value of density?
Howdy partners!

I am currently doing some project on Klt40s neutronic simulation (you might have heard of Akademik Lomonosov, the floating npp). But I have encountered a problem with fuel density. The only info that i got that "uranium density IN FUEL MEAT/KERNEL" is 4.5 g/cm3. The Fuel is uranium dioxide dispersed in aluminum-silicon alloy.

However, I need the fuel density for further calculations of nuclear densities (1/cm3).
I know that density of uo2 is 10.9 g/cm3 and density of the alloy is around 2.7 g/cm3. Have you guys gotten any ideas on how to calculate the whole fuel density and maybe fractions of fuel and matrix (sial alloy) from these data?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Alex A said:
Seems to be quite a lot of detail in this document. https://aris.iaea.org/PDF/KLT-40S.pdf

Maybe that will help.
I hab this one but no luck :(

nuclearsneke said:
Summary:: Tl;dr - why is it so low and how to get the right value of density?

"uranium density IN FUEL MEAT/KERNEL" is 4.5 g/cm3.
That is the uranium density, as opposed to UO2 density correct?

And is it 14% enriched?

The density would be low because the U, in the form of UO2, is dispersed in Al-Si alloy.

Likes nuclearsneke
Astronuc said:
That is the uranium density, as opposed to UO2 density correct?

And is it 14% enriched?

The density would be low because the U, in the form of UO2, is dispersed in Al-Si alloy.
I get it that density of fuel would be low due to its dispersion in alloy. But is there any way to calculate a density of fuel pellet starting from this "uranium density in fuel kernel" value?

nuclearsneke said:
is there any way to calculate a density of fuel pellet starting from this "uranium density in fuel kernel" value?
Well, assuming that the 'uranium density' refers to uranium with ρ = 4.5 g/cm3, then the UO2 density in the dispersion would be ~5.1 g/cm3, based on 0.8814 gU/gUO2.

For a given volume V of dispersion, the mass of the volume would be xV*ρ(UO2)+(1-x)V*ρ(Al) = M with a volume V and density D=M/V of the dispersion ( x = volume fraction of UO2), assuming that there is no interaction between UO2 and Al. The total mass M = m(UO2) + m(Al).

The mass of UO2 in the dispersion is simply xV*ρ(UO2) and the effective density is just x*ρ(UO2) = 5.1 g/cm3, and so x = 0.465, based on ρ(UO2) = 10.96 g/cm3.

This is basically an application of 'rule of mixtures', or 'law of mixtures'.
https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-1-4419-6247-8_6810
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/rule-of-mixture-equation

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman and nuclearsneke
Astronuc said:
Well, assuming that the 'uranium density' refers to uranium with ρ = 4.5 g/cm3, then the UO2 density in the dispersion would be ~5.1 g/cm3, based on 0.8814 gU/gUO2.

For a given volume V of dispersion, the mass of the volume would be xV*ρ(UO2)+(1-x)V*ρ(Al) = M with a volume V and density D=M/V of the dispersion ( x = volume fraction of UO2), assuming that there is no interaction between UO2 and Al. The total mass M = m(UO2) + m(Al).

The mass of UO2 in the dispersion is simply xV*ρ(UO2) and the effective density is just x*ρ(UO2) = 5.1 g/cm3, and so x = 0.465, based on ρ(UO2) = 10.96 g/cm3.

This is basically an application of 'rule of mixtures', or 'law of mixtures'.
https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-1-4419-6247-8_6810
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/rule-of-mixture-equation
Wow. Given that I had a material science course mostly focused on phase diagrams and lattice types, I have never heard of that preem law/rule of mixture. Now the problem I mentioned above looks so trivial... Thank you, Astronuc!

Likes anorlunda and berkeman
nuclearsneke said:
Given that I had a material science course mostly focused on phase diagrams and lattice types, I have never heard of that preem law/rule of mixture.
Well, I had much the same experience. I didn't hear about the 'rule/law of mixtures' until I encountered in the job. I've done similar problems in the past. It can be tricky. In this problem, one must assume no chemical interaction between the UO2 and Al-Si-alloy, which is a reasonable assumption if done at low temperature, which it usually is. Basically one would mix powders and cold press them between layers of Al-Si. Also, one must be clear on the problem statement, which is why I asked about the density of uranium vs uranium dioxide. Things can go wrong when there is miscommunication between design and manufacturing, or between engineering groups.

Likes nuclearsneke

1. What is the density of uranium in fuel meat/kernel?

The density of uranium in fuel meat/kernel can vary depending on the specific type of fuel and the enrichment level. However, on average, the density of uranium in fuel meat/kernel is around 10 grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3).

2. How does the density of uranium in fuel meat/kernel affect its performance?

The density of uranium in fuel meat/kernel is an important factor in determining the performance of nuclear fuel. Higher density fuels have a higher concentration of uranium, which leads to a higher power output and longer fuel burnup. However, increasing the density can also lead to increased fuel temperature and potential for fuel failure.

3. How does the density of uranium in fuel meat/kernel change over time?

The density of uranium in fuel meat/kernel can change over time due to the process of nuclear fission. As uranium atoms split, the fuel becomes less dense and expands. This can lead to changes in the fuel geometry and potentially affect the performance of the fuel.

4. What factors can affect the density of uranium in fuel meat/kernel?

Several factors can affect the density of uranium in fuel meat/kernel, including the type of fuel, enrichment level, temperature, and irradiation history. These factors can impact the structural integrity and performance of the fuel.

5. How is the density of uranium in fuel meat/kernel measured?

The density of uranium in fuel meat/kernel is typically measured using techniques such as X-ray diffraction or gamma-ray attenuation. These methods allow for non-destructive measurement of the fuel density and can provide valuable information about the fuel's performance and structural integrity.