US Military OCS, physical scientist.

In summary, the conversation revolves around a discussion of the military officer candidate school career path for physical scientists. The speaker is interested in utilizing their physics degree but is hesitant to join due to the potential for being placed in a combat zone. Others in the conversation share their experiences and advice, with some stating that combat is an inherent part of the military and should not be avoided. It is also mentioned that a PhD may be necessary for a successful scientific career in the military. The conversation ends with a warning to not join the military if one's world-view does not align with the military's focus on combat.
feathermoon
Does anyone have any experience with the military officer candidate school career path for physical scientists?

I would like to put my physics B.S. to use, but I don't think I can get into a graduate program. I also don't want to join just to get shipped into a combat zone.

What's it like?

Physics news on Phys.org
Back when I was searching I found that each of the branches have (unofficial) forums dedicated to everything OCS. Don't mean to take traffic away from here but you can likely get a ton of information there.

For example: http://www.usnavyocs.com/portal/index.php

All other branches have links on the side.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should not join with the expectation of avoiding combat. The job of the military is combat.

^
What he said.

Yup. The better you are, the more likely that somebody will find a combat role for you. don't want to fight? Don't join.

In order to forge a career in one of these fields, you'll really need a PhD, in order to be able to carry advanced research at either a university or some research institute or a company that has reason to support scientific research and development.

You MUST serve a period of time in a combat zone - primarily Afghanistan or Iraq - after OCS. Otherwise don't join.

The only viable path is grad school.

Not necessarily. From what some of my training officers have told me, and the actual contracts I signed, once I obtain both my physics (b.s) and biology (b.s.) degrees, I will work in their scientific department, 61S Scientists for about 3 years, then head on to grad school so that I can satisfy a higher rank within the scientist bracket.

In your case, it really depends on what job you choose or MOS, they provide you with great jobs and depending on the need in certain areas, you have a higher chance than not in being placed in a job you want within the military. Most people on here say, "you will be in combat zones," which is pretty false considering military scientists are primarily housed on the home soil. Infantry, aviation, etc..., are all placed into combat situations as that is their primary MOS or occupation they have chosen.

Do not listen to the comments above, talk to other officers, etc..., who have more knowledge. I can only come from my own situation and how things have been playing out so far.

Well, I think your perspective might be different after you have actually been in.

In your specific case, the career path for 61S's (and 62E's) goes to 63A, acquisitions officer. Look at the people in 63A positions - see how many of them have field experience? That's because the Air Force is not going to trust the procurement of items necessary to its success to people without that experience.

More generally, the purpose of the armed forces is combat, and given a choice between what you want and "the needs of the service", the latter will win every time. Every single time. So while it is possible that one will never see the outside of the lab, you should never assume that you've joined "the other Army - the one with the condos". You need to be prepared for a conversation that goes like this:

"Lieutenant Butterbar? It turns out that we have this really nice billet for you all set up at Wright-Patt. Thing is, you see, they're not going to be ready for you for another, oh, six months or so. But don't worry - we've found a place to take you on for that time. It's in a place called Fallujah.".

This is the kind of conflicting answer that will make me avoid it. However, do they really stick a gun in the hands of 'academics' and march them to the front line? Seems like a waste of an education, to me.

feathermoon said:
This is the kind of conflicting answer that will make me avoid it. However, do they really stick a gun in the hands of 'academics' and march them to the front line? Seems like a waste of an education, to me.

Is your MOS infantry?

People always imagine the worst case scenario.

feathermoon said:

You should not join the military. Seriously. Your world-view and theirs are not compatible.

From the military's point of view, combat is what they do. If you are well-educated, that serves the military only insofar as it improves their ability to successfully conduct their operations.

1. What is US Military OCS?

US Military OCS stands for United States Military Officer Candidate School. It is a training program for individuals who wish to become officers in the United States Armed Forces.

2. What is the role of a physical scientist in the US Military OCS?

A physical scientist in the US Military OCS is responsible for conducting research and providing technical support in areas such as physics, chemistry, and geology. They also play a crucial role in developing and implementing new technologies for the military.

3. Can anyone become a physical scientist in the US Military OCS?

No, not everyone can become a physical scientist in the US Military OCS. To be eligible for this role, individuals must have a degree in a relevant field and meet the physical and mental requirements set by the military.

4. What kind of training do physical scientists receive in the US Military OCS?

Physical scientists in the US Military OCS undergo rigorous training in both military and scientific areas. They are trained in areas such as leadership, weapons handling, and military tactics, as well as scientific research methods and technologies.

5. What career opportunities are available for physical scientists in the US Military OCS?

Physical scientists in the US Military OCS have a wide range of career opportunities, both within the military and in the civilian sector. They can serve as research and development officers, intelligence officers, or technical advisors in various branches of the military. They can also pursue careers in government agencies, private companies, or academia.