Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News US taxpayer dollars going to Brazilian cotton farms.

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1

turbo

Gold Member

It's bad enough that the US taxpayer has to pay subsidies to cotton farmers in the US - now, to stave off retaliatory tariffs on non-farm goods entering Brazil, we are giving subsidies to Brazilian cotton-growers. What a wonderful idea! :mad:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1978963,00.html?xid=feed-yahoo-full-nation-related

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, that's less wasteful than the agricultural subsidies it backs. If self-flagellation is the only way other nations will let you take a bazooka to your head, we're (apparently) all for it.

4. Apr 12, 2010 #3

turbo

Gold Member

My thoughts, as well. Why are we paying huge agribusinesses subsidies to grow crops in the first place? ~$150M "protection" money to protect billions in US subsidies? Can you spell waste? Sure, I knew you could. (Thanks, Mr. Rogers)

5. Apr 12, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's about what the EU pays to subidize tobacco farmers!

The funniest one I heard recently was,
    Ford import trucks from their plants in europe with throw away extra seats installed.
    They remove the seats and bury them in landfill, thus turning a 'bus' into a truck.
    Apparently in the 60s Germany protested the US exporting cheap chickens and so the US put a penalty on imported trucks (but not cars/buses).

6. Apr 12, 2010 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Oh, man! Is there any sanity left? Are we destined to extinction by corruption and bureaucracy (Vogon syndrome)?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook