Applications of the Pauli matrix identity (σ·A)(σ·B) = A·B + iσ·(A×B)

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter topsquark
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 1K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
MHB
Messages
2,020
Reaction score
843
TL;DR
I've always seen this equation derived in my QM classes, but I've never actually seen it used.
##( \sigma \cdot \textbf{A} ) ( \sigma \cdot \textbf{B} ) = \textbf{A} \cdot \textbf{B} + i \sigma \cdot ( \textbf{A} \times \textbf{B} )##
I've taken three intro QM classes, and I have four textbooks that cover the derivation of this equation:
##( \sigma \cdot \textbf{A} ) ( \sigma \cdot \textbf{B} ) = \textbf{A} \cdot \textbf{B} + i \sigma \cdot ( \textbf{A} \times \textbf{B} )##

All of them say this equation is very important, but I just realized yesterday that I've never actually seen the thing used.

What is this equation actually used for?

Thanks!

-Dan
 
Physics news on Phys.org