1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use of Gauss's Law(Electrostatic)

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Charge +q is distributed uniformley throughout a sphere of radius a. Show that the electric field a distance r from the centre of the sphere is as follows

for r less than a E = qr/(4*pi*epsilon0*a^3)
    for r greater than E it is the standard equation of and E field around a point charge.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Drawing a gaussian surface inside the sphere I have proved the first part of the question, for the second part my reasoning is as such,
    as the charge is distributed uniformley througout the sphere, this results in a constant E field through the sphere, but by gauss's law this means that the charge must form on the surface, thus the sphere can be treated as a point charge which results in the same equation for a point charge as required....is this correct? If not how would I go about the problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2
    Electric field is not constant through the sphere, you found that in part a) .
    All charge is not on the surface, "distributed uniformley throughout a sphere of radius a" said text.
    But you can apply gauss law for outside of the sphere, just use gaussian surface of radius r>a.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?