1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use Sauerbrey equation explain Δf Vs. analyte concentration

1. May 4, 2015 #1
    1. Explain, using the Sauerbrey equation, how the change in the resonance frequency of a quartz crystal can be related to an analyte concentration

2. Sauerbrey equation: upload_2015-5-5_1-38-32.png

3. I knew Quartz crystal microbalance work according to the change of frequency after mass loaded, and when working in a Newtonian liquid the corresponding frequency shift is upload_2015-5-5_1-42-29.png (Kanazawa and Gordon, 1985), whichηL is the liquid viscosity; andμ is the shear modulus.
    But I cannot understand the relation between the change of frequency and the analyte concentration according to the Sauerbrey equation.

thank you for helping

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

And not through the adsorption isotherm?

4. May 5, 2015 #3
    Thank you for replying. It could be relate to the surface adsorption, but must explain according to the Sauerbrey equation.

5. May 5, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I haven't said "don't use Sauerbrey equation". I said "combine it with an isotherm".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted