Used Car Engine Oil: What Mechanics Do & How to Filter

In summary, mechanics use used car engine oils to lubricate car parts. They recycle the oil to use it again.
RKD89
I was wondering what do mechanics do with used car engine oils( lubricants)?

Like are they recyclable .....

I know how water and Oil can be separated , but how does one filter dust and other particles from oils....

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think we covered this topic last year...I save it..along with the old race tires.then on Earth Day i have a huge bon fire and toss them in..to celebrate Gaia..
heres a tip for you..don't throw old batteries in the fire..I usually take them to the river near by..

Attachments

• earth.JPG
    earth.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 500
  • Haha
Likes John Archer
ok seriously. most repair shops save the oil and antifeeze. the recycle people pick this up, and old iron brake rotors and the like and recycle it. In most all the states, it is not legal to dump this and any spills over 5 gallons must be reported to the EPA. You do not have to separate the ainti freeze, atf from motor oil.

Alot of shops have waste oil heaters for use in the colder months.

RKD89 said:
I was wondering what do mechanics do with used car engine oils( lubricants)?

Like r they recyclable .....

I know how water n Oil can be separated , but how does one filter dust n other particles from oils....

thnx in advance

dunno about the mechanics but i know that every car with an internal combustion engine has an oil filter which is usually a mesh of some material(paper?) that sorts out the relatively small pieces of steel in the oil, when it clogs up you need to change the filter and usually you change the oil as well.

now I am sure that recycling plants filter down the used oil a few times with this system until its good to be used again. i also think that the science of nano materials has contributed a lot to this process, after all a diesel engine can just about burn any type of oil out there, probably even distilled lubricant oil, so i guess its certainly called upon.

I know people who burn waste oil in diesel engines without distillation. They just filter it before adding it to the tank. It is kept dilluted enough to keep the viscosity low enough.

Related to Used Car Engine Oil: What Mechanics Do & How to Filter

1. What is used car engine oil?

Used car engine oil is the lubricant that is used to keep the engine of a car running smoothly. It is made up of a mixture of base oils and additives that help to reduce friction and wear in the engine.

2. How do mechanics dispose of used car engine oil?

Mechanics have to follow specific guidelines for disposing of used car engine oil. They will typically drain the old oil into a container and then take it to a recycling center or an approved oil disposal facility. Some mechanics may also have a waste oil burner to safely dispose of the used oil.

3. How often should used car engine oil be changed?

The frequency of oil changes can vary depending on the type of car and driving habits. However, as a general rule, it is recommended to change the oil every 3,000-5,000 miles or every 3-6 months, whichever comes first.

4. Can used car engine oil be recycled?

Yes, used car engine oil can be recycled. In fact, it is highly encouraged to recycle used oil as it can be refined and re-used multiple times. This helps to reduce the demand for new oil and minimize environmental impact.

5. Is it necessary to filter used car engine oil?

Filtering used car engine oil is not necessary, but it is highly recommended. This can help to remove any contaminants and debris that may have accumulated in the oil, which can improve engine performance and prolong the life of the engine.