Used/old transmission fluid should be useful for something else?

In summary, a used/old transmission fluid can be blended with acetone to make a penetrating oil, but it will depend on the type of transmission fluid and how well it mixes with acetone.
abdulbadii
TL;DR Summary
used/old transmission fluid as another useful one; penetrating oil
Can a used/old transmission fluid be as a penetrating oil constituent along with acetone 100%, common lubricating oil or grease, etc ?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have seen recipes for making penetrating oil from a transmission fluid by adding acetone. The problem is that it will depend on the type of transmission fluid you have, and how well it mixes with acetone. I have never had any luck blending my own, and there will never be a huge demand for penetrating oil.

I dispose of clean used transmission fluid by adding it to furnace or diesel fuel.

Likes Lnewqban
Likes abdulbadii
I get into a lot of situations where I disassemble things that require a penetrating oil. Transmission fluid on it's own is pretty good. It also takes a fair amount more heat than the average light oil. After all, it's designed to take it. Sometimes I will mix a little WD 40 with it but not in large batches. So if I have heated something with acetylene to aid in disassembly, ATF is the first thing I go to when parts are still warm.

Likes Lnewqban
Baluncore said:
I have seen recipes for making penetrating oil from a transmission fluid by adding acetone. The problem is that it will depend on the type of transmission fluid you have, and how well it mixes with acetone. I have never had any luck blending my own, and there will never be a huge demand for penetrating oil.

I dispose of clean used transmission fluid by adding it to furnace or diesel fuel.

I've just drained it into a tank until the solids settled out and used it as bar oil for chainsaws, usually mixed with used crankcase oil. I'm not a big saw guy, so I never had enough saw work to deal with this, except after a hurricane.

An oil burner would be my suggestion as well.

The recycle options available around here are usually at every automotive parts house and many automotive/truck repair locations. I've found dumping it at the recycler to be pretty easy, if that option is available. Some auto shops use the oil for on-site heat.

Last edited:
Likes abdulbadii

1. What are the potential uses for used/old transmission fluid?

Used/old transmission fluid can be repurposed for various applications such as lubricating door hinges, preventing rust on metal surfaces, and as a solvent for cleaning tools and equipment.

2. Is it safe to reuse old transmission fluid?

While it is possible to reuse old transmission fluid, it is not recommended. Over time, transmission fluid can become contaminated with debris and lose its effectiveness, potentially causing damage to your vehicle. It is best to dispose of old transmission fluid properly and use new fluid for optimal performance.

3. Can used/old transmission fluid be recycled?

Yes, used/old transmission fluid can be recycled. Some auto shops and recycling centers accept used transmission fluid for recycling. This process involves removing any contaminants and impurities from the fluid, making it safe to use again.

4. How can I dispose of used/old transmission fluid?

It is important to dispose of used/old transmission fluid properly to avoid harming the environment. You can take it to a local auto shop or recycling center that accepts used fluids, or check with your local government for any designated hazardous waste disposal facilities in your area.

5. Can used/old transmission fluid be harmful to my health?

Used/old transmission fluid may contain harmful chemicals and should be handled with caution. Avoid direct contact with the fluid and make sure to dispose of it properly. If you do come into contact with it, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.