Used/old transmission fluid should be useful for something else?

• Thread starter abdulbadii
  • Start date
Summary:
used/old transmission fluid as another useful one; penetrating oil
Can a used/old transmission fluid be as a penetrating oil constituent along with acetone 100%, common lubricating oil or grease, etc ?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Baluncore
Science Advisor
I have seen recipes for making penetrating oil from a transmission fluid by adding acetone. The problem is that it will depend on the type of transmission fluid you have, and how well it mixes with acetone. I have never had any luck blending my own, and there will never be a huge demand for penetrating oil.

I dispose of clean used transmission fluid by adding it to furnace or diesel fuel.

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I get into alot of situations where I disassemble things that require a penetrating oil. Transmission fluid on it's own is pretty good. It also takes a fair amount more heat than the average light oil. After all, it's designed to take it. Sometimes I will mix a little WD 40 with it but not in large batches. So if I have heated something with acetylene to aid in disassembly, ATF is the first thing I go to when parts are still warm.

ChemAir
Gold Member
I have seen recipes for making penetrating oil from a transmission fluid by adding acetone. The problem is that it will depend on the type of transmission fluid you have, and how well it mixes with acetone. I have never had any luck blending my own, and there will never be a huge demand for penetrating oil.

I dispose of clean used transmission fluid by adding it to furnace or diesel fuel.

I've just drained it into a tank until the solids settled out and used it as bar oil for chainsaws, usually mixed with used crankcase oil. I'm not a big saw guy, so I never had enough saw work to deal with this, except after a hurricane.

An oil burner would be my suggestion as well.

The recycle options available around here are usually at every automotive parts house and many automotive/truck repair locations. I've found dumping it at the recycler to be pretty easy, if that option is available. Some auto shops use the oil for on-site heat.

Last edited: