Which Organic Fluid should I used in organic rankine cycle ?

In summary, the organic rankine cycle (ORC) is a thermodynamic cycle that uses organic fluids instead of water to convert heat into mechanical or electrical energy. The benefits of using organic fluids in an ORC include higher efficiency, lower environmental impact, and versatility with lower temperature heat sources. When choosing the right organic fluid for an ORC, factors such as operating temperature, heat source, and desired efficiency should be considered. However, it is important to handle organic fluids with caution as they are flammable and toxic. Multiple organic fluids can be used in an ORC to optimize performance, known as a multicomponent cycle.
Muhammad Zeeshan
I'm trying to make a low temp heat exchanger but feeling difficulty in selecting a type of organic fluid
some are very toxic, some are not environment friendly.
Is there anyone who could suggest me the working organic fluid but it should not be water.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What temperature range?

300 to 500 degree celcius

500 is max
lets consider it just 300 degree celcius

Muhammad Zeeshan said:
300 to 500 degree celcius
... and, why not water?

Bystander said:
... and, why not water?
from 300 to 170 degree Celsius I've to use the temp range so water will not be efficient

Muhammad Zeeshan said:
not be efficient
?

1. What is an organic rankine cycle (ORC)?

The organic rankine cycle is a thermodynamic cycle that uses an organic fluid as the working fluid to convert heat into mechanical or electrical energy. It is similar to the traditional rankine cycle used in steam power plants, but it uses organic fluids instead of water.

2. What are the benefits of using organic fluids in an ORC?

Organic fluids have a lower boiling point and higher vapor pressure than water, which makes them more efficient at converting heat into energy. They also have a lower environmental impact and can be used with lower temperature heat sources, making them a more versatile option for energy production.

3. How do I choose the right organic fluid for my ORC?

The choice of organic fluid depends on several factors such as the operating temperature of the ORC, the type of heat source, and the desired efficiency. Some commonly used organic fluids include isobutane, propane, and various refrigerants.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using organic fluids in an ORC?

Organic fluids are flammable and toxic, so it is important to handle them with caution. Proper safety measures should be taken during the design, operation, and maintenance of an ORC system to ensure the safe use of organic fluids.

5. Can I use multiple organic fluids in my ORC?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple organic fluids in an ORC to optimize the system's performance. This is known as a multicomponent cycle and can be beneficial in cases where a single fluid may not be suitable for the entire range of operating conditions.