Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using a two stroke to power an air hammer

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on using a small two stroke engine to power an air hammer? My idea is to use the exhaust gases from the engine and then regulate down the CFM for the air hammer with out stalling out the engine.

I was wondering if I could weld a T connection at the stinger of the exhaust pipe going down here is an example drawing http://img705.imageshack.us/i/32094421.jpg/ and then from the regulator to the air hammer.

What do you guys think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not just couple an air compressor to the engine's crankshaft?
  4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    I can't imagine getting any usable pressure out of it. I think the air/fuel mixture would become too diluted by backed-up exhaust, or would gradually fail to flow through the transfer ports.
  5. Dec 10, 2009 #4
    I apologize I didn't really explain myself, i'm trying to maintain a 15 lb max limit and it has to power itself so I figured the best way to go about doing this is chemical power.

Thats another thing i wasn't to sure about was pressure. I did a quick Google search and I believe I saw that a 20cc engine puts out almost 300 CFM or more. But I am curious if I T into the exhaust pipe in anyway will it have too much pressure and stall the motor out?

I was just wondering if it could possibly be feasible with out producing a major headache. I figured if back pressure could spin a turbo it could maybe move the piston in the hand held air hammer, it was just a thought.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook