Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Search parameters and Booleans

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
    i'm having trouble narrowing my search booleans

say i want to search for "conservation of energy" AND "Kepler's second law"

seems well enough in english....

i dont want to result with

conservation or of or energy or kepler or second or law....

but what am i doing wrong? do i need parenthesis instead of quotes?

i guess i need to check fundamentals also... is the 'space' (bar) equal to OR...

are quotes usable for exact phrases

does AND have to be capitalized

can i use + for and...which for or? minus? how about ~ for not or is it allowed or ¬ or just NOT

and alas, wildcards...the texas poker of search parameters.

The forum is great, I am looking for lots of help with my personal research and hope many topics are at least casually, but vey much sometimes technically treated. i cant get to them if i cant search more specifically. I am certain some forums by the same software are getting different search boolean treatments, but then, if i'm not doing it right, i would not filter that properly, either!

I have been a senior analyst. the booleans of internet web searching and forum searching are a little differet than pure math or even COBOL IF statements, or VB or...or...oh no i said "or"....[btw, dont say 'or' to ben hur...]

i'd rather be getting no results for being too specific than getting too many results for me to survey. at least then i could know to start a new thread!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2
    what is a 'gold' subscription? the upgrade panel doesnt mark 1yr or 5yr as gold
  4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    Both are considered "gold" and both will let you use boolean parameters for search. :smile:
  5. Mar 26, 2008 #4
    So what is the answer to this question? Can I only search for phrases (like "conservation of energy") when I upgrade my account?
  6. Mar 26, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. Mar 29, 2008 #6
    Thanks alot. This ist really helpful. I wonder if this procedure doesn't trouble the PF server, considering that you don't have to wait between searches and that you have options available, which are deactivated in the forum itself.
  8. Mar 29, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Google already visited the pages it gives in a search.
    So, the PF server probably isn't troubled by using this Google search.
    It's Google's server that you are accessing.
  9. Apr 2, 2008 #8
    it shocked me i couldnt testdrive if this data mine was going to be useful enough for me surgically. withholding search boolearns was a jolting bait and switch for money, and that might be an attornment issue.

i am destitute. i need someone to donate me a year. disabled.

there's obviously a wealth here. but if i need krugerands and here are ducats it just wont do. sad that interfered with me. I'm serious can a year be donated? i think what i need would be here.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?