1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Technology to stop the expansion of space.

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    I was wondering if anyone ever thought about using technology to stop the expansion of space, or at least a section of space.

Much like how sections of space-time are warped by large physical objects, perhaps large sections of space-time can be warped to stop expanding (by somehow manipulating the dark energy that may be causing the expansion in the first place?)

Any ideas?

This is also assuming that it is dark energy that is causing the expansion.

I also don't think we fully understand space/time or the universe in it's entirety yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2
    Cosmic expansion only currently affects areas on the scale of megaparsecs, which is larger than galaxy clusters, since most smaller objects have sufficient internal binding energy to maintain their structure. So I don't believe we can do anything at all.

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    The expansion of space is accelerating and one day will affect the electromagnetic force (etc) if our theories are correct.

No, I'm saying we could manipulate the effect of dark energy on a section of space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook