Using the forth flotation technique to mass produce SARS-CoV-2 serum

In summary, Hagop suggests that the spike protein (or other proteins of interest) can be extracted from serum by using Forth flotation to separate them from other proteins. He also mentions a method to make antibodies without a host by using in vitro immunization.
hagopbul
TL;DR Summary
as i remember the 1st layer of SARS-ncov -2 have some hydrophobic and hydrophilic properties could we use this properties to mass produce the serum
Hello All:

i remember (and saw ) that the SARS-ncov-2 layers have hydrophobic and hydrophilic properties

few weeks ago i was reading about forth flotation and it is a method to separate metals , but on low temperature could we use it to separate the spike protein and mix it with immune cells to create the needed serum against the SARS-ncov-2 without the need to inject and wait until the animal produce the needed serum ( antibodies)

the bubbles in this system will separate the needed proteins and all we have to do is mix the outcome with some immune cells and wait until they produce the needed antibody

is it possible for the surface tension of a micro bubble to be able to hold large numbers of proteins without bursting ? what books you recommend on for the subject ?

how we can create a micro bubble in a liquid without using some thing that damage a cell membrane for example is there a physical methods to create bubbles in a liquid ? any books on the subject ?

Best
Hagop

any one wants to work with me on the subject ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
This (I am assuming you want to get antibodies out of serum from someone who has an immunity to cvoid-19, perhaps the antibodies in the mix that bind Covid-19 proteins) is probably better done by traditional methods.

Antibodies (general mix) can be isolated by an ammonium sulfate precipitation. This can be done fairly easily in large volume.

You can isolate only the antibodies binding the virus if you can put proteins from the virus on column beads (beads commercially available for binding proteins in a column), using an affinity column. Put your antibodies in solution, soak them in the column until they are bound to the virus proteins you have immobilized on the beads in the column, put a new solution in the column that causes the antibodies to elute (detach from the column and come out in the wash) where you can collect them.

This stuff is pretty standard.

Likes hagopbul
I was talking also about creating antibodies without a host

And inspecting if this method is good for application other than metal processing

Day 5 self quarantine that gives you a lot of ideas

Last edited:
There are methods for in vitro immunization.

I think there are also methods to make antibody molecules in bacteria (based on some plasmid trick I think).
However, I am not very familiar with them.

Likes hagopbul
hagopbul said:
few weeks ago i was reading about forth flotation

Forth? Froth!

epenguin said:
Forth? Froth!

Why don’t you consider Molecularly Imprinted Polymers for this instead? I came up with a method to imprint bile salts onto the surface of small spheres of polyacrylate using emulsion polymerization. The bile salts were a stand in for steroids of interest like testosterone or something like cholesterol. I’d bet spike proteins would work as well with a little modification to turn them into a surfactant. Hmmmmm...

Likes hagopbul and berkeman
Whatever you guys are talking about, how do you learn it?

Likes hagopbul
cwill53 said:
Whatever you guys are talking about, how do you learn it?
In my case, taking chemistry/biochem classes, working in labs doing some separation techniques, reading papers and books on specialized techniques I am interested in.
I used to have a book on physical basis of biochemical separation techniques. It would have been interesting to me even if it did not deal with something I wanted to do in the lab.

Likes chemisttree and hagopbul
reading about forth flotation and physics , the ideas attacks me without a notice if i don't talk about it then i forget it , and now trying to induce a discussion here on the forums maybe some thing new will come from it

1. How does the forth flotation technique work?

The forth flotation technique is a process used to separate particles based on their physical and chemical properties. It involves adding air bubbles to a mixture of particles and water, causing the particles to rise to the surface and form a froth. The froth can then be collected and the particles separated from the water.

2. Can the forth flotation technique be used to mass produce SARS-CoV-2 serum?

Yes, the forth flotation technique can be used to mass produce SARS-CoV-2 serum. The technique has been successfully used in the mining industry to separate valuable minerals from ore on a large scale. It can also be adapted for use in producing serum for viruses.

3. What are the advantages of using the forth flotation technique for mass production of SARS-CoV-2 serum?

One of the main advantages of using the forth flotation technique for mass production of SARS-CoV-2 serum is its ability to process large volumes of material in a short amount of time. It is also a cost-effective method and can be easily scaled up for higher production rates.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges to using the forth flotation technique for mass production of SARS-CoV-2 serum?

One potential limitation of using the forth flotation technique for mass production of SARS-CoV-2 serum is the need for specialized equipment and expertise. It may also require specific reagents and conditions to effectively separate the virus particles from other components in the serum.

5. Has the forth flotation technique been used for mass production of other viral serums?

Yes, the forth flotation technique has been successfully used for mass production of serums for other viruses, such as influenza and Ebola. It has also been used for producing vaccines and other biological products on a large scale.