UV-cured epoxy adhesive: varying light intensity and exposure time

  • Thread starter Thread starter unscientific
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Effects Epoxy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
unscientific
Messages
1,728
Reaction score
13
Hi, I am currently doing a scientific research regarding epoxy adhesive.

Basically, you shine UV light onto the adhesive, it hardens.

Im given certain parameters like, intensity of UV light and duration of exposure.

I am supposed to investigate effects of varying parameters on: adhesion, cohesive strength and other properties.

So far I did some research, the effects that I could investigate on are: Tensile at break(eg 8900 psi), Durameter hardness (eg D75), shrinkage percentage, % elongation at break and adhesive strength (eg 1000Pa).

I would like comments/suggestions on working on this project with these, or maybe add new parameters?

What I have in mind is plotting a graph of Intensity against adhesive strength under a fixed exposure time, while recording the tensile at break, durometer hardness etc.

Any improvements/suggestions?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
You might include temperature of the cure phase and the length of time and temperature of post cure phase.

Are you able to change the concentration of the cure agent?
 
How about humidity during cure, or maybe even the presence of liquids?
 
Ok, basically I am working in a lab that has limited equipment, several machines i found are the uv machine, which allows one to set the intensity, and duration (mins/hrs). There is also a durometer, (i haven't actually seen it) but my mentor tells me it does a "Sweeping" action at a force, while plotting a graph. I intend to maybe put cured adhesive (a droplet) onto a substrate and measure at which point willl the cured resin actually "break". Now I am currently working on the linear shrinkage, where I inject epoxy into a capillary tube and measure the length before the cure and after the cure. I think I will vary the duration of exposure to UV, and record plot a graph of %linear shrinkage over time of exposure.
What do you guys think? (3 more weeks till the end of the project)