Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UY Scuti, the biggest known star, viewed through a telescope!

Tags:
  1. Sep 16, 2014 #1
    I have been appointed the project manager at Rutherfurd Observatory, and was thus granted access to use the primary telescope. I spent 2 days trying to locate UY Scuti and finally, I've did it!

For those who don't know what UY Scuti, it's the biggest known star in the universe. If it were to be replaced with the Sun in our solar system, it'd extend beyond the boundary of Saturn.

Here's a cheeky peek at our big-boy UY Scuti (the brightest star in the middle):

UY_Scuti_zoomed_in%2C_Rutherford_Observatory%2C_07_September_2014.jpe

What do you think?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2
    That is awesome Haktarfone!! Please keep us updated with more images :)

4. Sep 16, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

emphasis added.

That's a pretty bold claim, since we know next to nothing about our own Milky Way galaxy, let alone the millions of other galaxies which are visible.

5. Sep 16, 2014 #4
    I am NOT saying that UY Scuti is the largest star in the entire universe, I am saying that UY Scuti is the largest star discovered yet. It has a median radius of 1,708 solar radii, or approximately 7.94 AU.

6. Sep 17, 2014 #5
    Yeah; cool; its also a variable star ...mag. 11.2 to 13.2.

7. Sep 18, 2014 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Fun fact: The majority of the star's volume is composed of a gas that is less dense than most of the Earth's atmosphere.

8. Sep 26, 2014 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook