Vague definition of the word molecule

In summary, the definition of a molecule according to the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry is "An electrically neutral entity consisting of more than one atom." This means that a single atom is not considered a molecule. Some may argue that noble gases, which consist of single atoms, can be considered molecules due to their chemical characteristics. However, as someone with chemistry training, I would not classify noble gases as molecules. While some noble gases can form molecules under certain conditions, they are typically considered as individual atoms.
n124122
The word molecule has several definitions, but which one is considered the right one? The biggest question is if a single atom is still a molecule. Some call a helium atom a (monatomic) molecule. But others state that a molecule is a bond between two or more atoms. Some also say a molecule is the smallest part which contains it's chemical characteristics, which means that noble gasses are molecules. An others just say molecules consist of one or more atoms. I think it very important this is clear, so who can help me, are the noble gasses called molecules or just atoms?

(I know you can't really compare them because they're two on different levels, but still...)

Physics news on Phys.org
The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry defines a molecule as "An electrically neutral entity consisting of more than one atom." As someone with training in chemistry, I would not call a single atom a molecule. For example, we often make a distinction between oxygen atoms (O) and oxygen molecules (O2).

Likes n124122
Ygggdrasil said:
The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry defines a molecule as "An electrically neutral entity consisting of more than one atom." As someone with training in chemistry, I would not call a single atom a molecule. For example, we often make a distinction between oxygen atoms (O) and oxygen molecules (O2).

So the noble gasses are atoms not molecules?

Yes, I would not consider the noble gasses (Ne, He, Ar, etc.) to be molecules. Some of the noble gasses can form molecules (e.g. XeF4), however.

Likes n124122
Ygggdrasil said:
Yes, I would not consider the noble gasses (Ne, He, Ar, etc.) to be molecules. Some of the noble gasses can form molecules (e.g. XeF4), however.

Alright thank you very much

1. What is the definition of a molecule?

A molecule is a group of two or more atoms held together by chemical bonds. It is the smallest unit of a chemical compound that retains the properties of that compound.

2. How is a molecule different from an atom?

An atom is the smallest unit of matter that retains the properties of an element, while a molecule is the smallest unit of a compound that retains the properties of that compound. An atom consists of a nucleus and electrons, while a molecule consists of two or more atoms bonded together.

3. Can molecules exist on their own?

Some molecules, such as diatomic molecules like oxygen (O2) or nitrogen (N2), can exist on their own. However, most molecules require other molecules or atoms to interact with in order to exist in a stable state.

4. Are all molecules the same size?

No, molecules can vary greatly in size depending on the number and types of atoms they are made up of. For example, a water molecule (H2O) is much smaller than a protein molecule made up of hundreds of atoms.

5. How are molecules important in everyday life?

Molecules are essential for everyday life as they make up all matter and are involved in all chemical processes and reactions. They are responsible for the functioning of our bodies, the production of food and materials, and the Earth's atmospheric and environmental processes.