Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Valve pressure marking standard

  1. Jul 22, 2014 #1
    I'm looking for a standard (CGA, ANSI, ISI, etc.) which lays out requirements for the marking of pressure ratings on shut off valves (which aren't cylinder valves) in the USA. Does anyone know what it is or if it even exists? Any insights are much appreciated.
    Blake J
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2014 #2
    ASME B16.34 is a pretty complete standard for piping, fittings, and valves regarding pressure and temperature rating. There's also B16.5.

    API Spec 6D gives the requirements and recommendations for the design, manufacturing, testing and documentation of ball, check, gate and plug valves for application in pipeline systems. (as per Eng. toolbox)

    The API 60x (that is, 600, 609, etc) are standards for various types of valves.

    ASME 31.3 for Process Piping might be useful as well, or 31.1 for power piping (typically dealing with boilers/high pressure and temperature fluid piping)

    EDIT: Jeez, how could I forget BPVC (Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code) Sections II and VIII.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  4. Jul 23, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the suggestions Travis! I will check out those standards.
  5. Jul 23, 2014 #4
    There are a couple more API standards regarding the procurement of valves and fittings but I don't remember which ones they are. Maybe someone with more experience in the manufacturing of valves will chime in, I'm more on the end-user side.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook