Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Variance of mass inside a black hole

1. Mar 30, 2016 #1
    HI,
    I need to calculate the variance of mass released when a particle jumps down or up between energy levels
    inside a black hole , i dont know where to begin
    any advice will help
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

We have no idea what happens to mass when it gets to the singularity in a black hole, but I doubt it's still able to jump energy levels. Why do you need to calculate this?

4. Mar 30, 2016 #3
    its for my final project degree
    helping my professor, i regret it now for choosing this subject :)
    thanks anyway

5. Mar 30, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Your professor is okay with this topic? Can you post links to other work that has been published in this area? As phinds says, on the surface of it, the question would seem not to make sense.

6. Mar 31, 2016 #5
    Wouldn't that require you to successfully merge quantum mechanics with general relativity? Seems difficult for a school project.

7. Apr 1, 2016 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Changes in energy levels are typically associated with electrons in an atom jumping from one shell to another. This cannot happen at the 'surface' or interior of a black hole because atoms and even their constituent particles are deconstructed before they can get that close to a gravitational singularity. It probably cannot even occur in the case of a neutron star or white dwarf for similar reason. Electrons are disassociated from atoms in degenerate matter states..

8. Apr 5, 2016 #7
    thanks everyone for their answer
    but my task is only in statistical quantum-thermal approach to the problem , i found that bekenstein already did it for mass but i need the same for charge,he assumed Q=0 , and i guess its not the same solution
    i uploaded it ,its from the book to fulfill a vision - Yuval Ne'eman http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9780201052893?cm_sp=bdp-_-9780201052893-_-isbn10
    anything will be very helpful
    thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.pdf
      1.pdf
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted