1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variational Method - Gaussian Trial Wavefucntion

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the variational method with a gaussian trial wavefunction ψ(x) = A[itex]e^{\frac{-a^{2}x^{2}}{2}}[/itex] to prove that in 1 dimension an attractive potential of the form shown, no matter how shallow, always has at least 1 bound state.

*Figure is of a potential V(x) that has a minimum on the negative y axis, and tends to 0 as x -> ∞ and -∞*

THERE ARE NO BOUNDARIES SHOWN ON THE DIAGRAM, THIS IS A GENERALISED POTENTIAL

HINT: prove that it is always possible to make the trial energy negative.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]E_{0}[/itex] [itex]\geq[/itex] [itex]\frac{\left\langle ψ | \hat{H} | ψ \right\rangle}{\left\langle ψ | ψ \right\rangle}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    We don't quite know that Hamilitonian, but we do know that it has a kinetic energy part. So I've written the Hamiltonian as:

[itex]\hat{H}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-h^{2}}{2m}\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}} + V(x)[/itex] Since the potential is unknown at this point.

State should end up negative but larger than or equal to the bound state due to the above condition.

I tried to normal the scalar [itex]\left\langleψ|ψ\right\rangle[/itex] to start things off so I could find the constant, but I have no clue on how to integrate this stupid gaussian function. I used wolfram alpha and I basically get A = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2a}{\sqrt{\pi}}}[/itex]

So I'm stuck at the first hurdle. I need to find the scalar product and then superimpose the hamiltonian and integrate to see if I meet the condition.

Otherwise, what do I need to do?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2011 #2
    Any ideas guys? It's the gaussian that's irritating me. How do I integrate it?

4. Nov 9, 2011 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook