Variations in the fine structure constant

In summary: If so, do the authors use emission lines or absorption lines in their observations?c) If emission lines are used, then why are they two broad and not just one line?d) If absorption lines are used, then why are they specifically looking for electron transitions?
enotstrebor
In http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/9803/9803165v4.pdf" the authors use (second paragraph) "Spectroscopic observations of gas clouds seen in absorption against background quasars" to search for variations in alpha.

Is my understanding correct that
A) The quasars are background and they are looking at absorption peaks in a "gas cloud" between the quasar and us.

If so
B) Are they using absorption lines rather then the quasar's emission lines because the emission lines are two broad to be able to measure electron transitions used to measure alpha.

If so;
C) Since the gas cloud is somewhere between us and the quasar, how does this give alpha at the period of the quasar's redshift distance rather than at the clouds distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
enotstrebor said:
In http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/9803/9803165v4.pdf" the authors use (second paragraph) "Spectroscopic observations of gas clouds seen in absorption against background quasars" to search for variations in alpha.

Is my understanding correct that
A) The quasars are background and they are looking at absorption peaks in a "gas cloud" between the quasar and us.

If so
B) Are they using absorption lines rather then the quasar's emission lines because the emission lines are two broad to be able to measure electron transitions used to measure alpha.

If so;
C) Since the gas cloud is somewhere between us and the quasar, how does this give alpha at the period of the quasar's redshift distance rather than at the clouds distance.

I took a glance through the paper. I seems to me that they are using the cloud's red shift. They measure the clouds red shift by fitting laboratory absorption lines against the clouds. The redshift applies equally to all absorption lines. However, they then compare precisely different lines that are affected differently by a change in alpha. The quasars appear to be used simply as a bright, distant, broad spectrum source.

Last edited by a moderator:
PAllen said:
I took a glance through the paper. I seems to me that they are using the cloud's red shift. They measure the clouds red shift by fitting laboratory absorption lines against the clouds. The redshift applies equally to all absorption lines. However, they then compare precisely different lines that are affected differently by a change in alpha. The quasars appear to be used simply as a bright, distant, broad spectrum source.

Thanks, Thats basically my understanding.

Just to verify one specific with respect to quasars,

a) "Everyone knows" (except me) that all of the quasars spectral lines are too broad to be able to directly observe the peak splitting's that can be used to measure alpha?

1. What is the fine structure constant?

The fine structure constant, denoted by the symbol α, is a dimensionless physical constant that characterizes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles. It is also known as the coupling constant or the Sommerfeld constant.

2. Why does the fine structure constant have a value of approximately 1/137?

The value of the fine structure constant is a fundamental constant of nature and is determined by the properties of the vacuum, the speed of light, and the charge of the electron. The value of 1/137 is a consequence of the geometry of space-time in our universe.

3. How does the fine structure constant affect the behavior of atoms?

The fine structure constant plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels and interactions of atoms. It governs the strength of the electromagnetic force between the negatively charged electrons and the positively charged nucleus, which ultimately determines the stability and behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. Can the fine structure constant vary over time?

Many theories suggest that the fine structure constant may vary over time, but there is currently no conclusive evidence for this. Some studies have shown small variations, but they are within the margin of error of experimental measurements. Further research is needed to determine if the fine structure constant is truly constant or if it varies over time.

5. What are the implications of variations in the fine structure constant?

If the fine structure constant were to vary significantly, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the evolution of the universe. It could potentially change the way atoms and molecules behave, alter the structure of matter, and affect the formation of stars and galaxies. However, more research is needed to determine if variations in the fine structure constant are possible and what their effects may be.