B Variations of the Double Slit?

• Thread starter skewzme
  • Start date
You posted here because on some level you already knew what Campbell is saying can't be true. So don't start appealing to authority now.
I sense anger in statements like this. No need for that. The topic interests me and I stumbled on this forum in search of alternate opinions. One thing Campbell has said, and that was that many in the mainstream would react exactly like you have here. I am only seeking opinions. I have acknowledged my ignorance numerous times. But I know the subject enough to understand there are great mysteries in Quantum Mechanics that remain unsolved and not understood. If you fail to acknowledge that you are on opposite sides of minds like Richard Feynman.

One thing Campbell has said, and that was that many in the mainstream would react exactly like you have here.
He spins it like people get frustrated with him because they find his ideas threatening, but the reality is people get frustrated with him because his explanations of well known eraser experiments are very misleading.

But I know the subject enough to understand there are great mysteries in Quantum Mechanics that remain unsolved and not understood. If you fail to acknowledge that you are on opposite sides minds like Richard Feynman
Sure, but this basic experimental/empirical question you asked is not one of the mysteries.

Nugatory

Mentor
If I may ask, is anyone here familiar with the International Journal of Quantum Foundations, where this paper was published? Is this a respected source?
Well, as I said above..... It has no documented impact factor at https://www.scijournal.org/index.html
It's also not listed at http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/mjl/ which you'll see in the forum guidelines (linked above) as the standard "probably OK" list here.

So that would be a no (and see post #17 above).

Yes, probably. It's hard to say for sure.

This is for pretty much the same reason that despite centuries of experiments on gravitational attraction since Galileo demonstrated that different masses fall at the same speed, I would find it very difficult to respond to someone who challenged me for experimental evidence that earth's gravity exerts the same force on one kilogram of cold-rolled 1045 steel alloy as on one kilogram of 1018 steel alloy.
The principles of gravitational attraction are far more intuitive and understood, are they not?

Nugatory

Mentor
The principles of gravitational attraction are far more intuitive and understood, are they not?
Sure, but that just means that more people are familiar enough with gravity to see that we don’t need to run Cavendish’s experiment with different steel alloys before they accept the prediction of equal force. The principle is the same for unrecorded interactions in quantum mechanics; the difference is that fewer people have the necessary familiarity with the subject.

Some posts back when you asked about the forum rules, I said
This thread has being allowed because you started it with a reasonable question about what quantum mechanics does say and what is confirmed by experiment. That’s clearly OK under the rules, but we won’t host an extended discussion of the simulation hypothesis as a fully qualified alternative to quantum mechanics - it’s not and that’s not what we’re here for.
And on that basis, this thread is closed. As with all such thread closures, we can reopen the thread if someone wants to add something that is consistent with the purpose of this forum - anyone who needs it reopened for their contribution can PM me or any other mentor.

Last edited:

DrClaude

Mentor
Using my mentor superpowers to reply to a closed thread, I would like to point out that the experiment
I would find it very difficult to respond to someone who challenged me for experimental evidence that earth's gravity exerts the same force on one kilogram of cold-rolled 1045 steel alloy as on one kilogram of 1018 steel alloy.
is carried out every day in constructions sites all over the planet. If there was a significant difference in gravitational acceleration for different materials, architects' and engineers' calculations would be off and no skyscraper would stand up.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads