Vastness of space and infinite universes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of parallel universes and the potential implications if they do exist. The vastness of space and infinite number of universes make it unlikely that we would ever be able to physically prove the existence of parallel universes. The question is raised as to why we are pursuing this idea and what we could possibly learn from it. The speaker also acknowledges their lack of expertise in physics and the speculative nature of the concept.
bxadook
I just got done watching this show on tv. I know this will throw some of credibility out of the window automatically but please try to hear me out on this question.

If there are an infinite number of parallel universes, then there are an infinite number of universes where our galaxy was not created. Which surely means any parallel universe could only be proved theoretically, because the vastness of space and infinite universes would mean we would never be able to find one by physical means. If we were looking out, and somehow could see into a different universe, we might see a cloud of particles that used to be our Milky Way, leaving us no evidence if the parallel universe we have spotted contains our galaxy.

If this were the case, why are we chasing after them? And what could we learn from the existence of parallel universes in the first place? I am 19 and i am below a novice in physics, so if this just seems like random babbling it probably is. But if there is anyone who feels like answering and or putting me back in my place with an answer, I will be happy.

Physics news on Phys.org

bxadook said:
I just got done watching this show on tv.

Which show?

I think it is called "parallel universes" on the history channel... what do you think? Do I pose a legitimate question here? If what they say is true, then ultimately all search for a parallel universe is fruitless, and the possibility of time travel is also non-existent due to the sheer grand scale of the amount of universes in an infinite multiverse, making it impossible to locate the specific universe desired to travel to.. I have to reiterate that I am speaking in idiots terms though, I have no grasp of any form of mathematical physics, which proves the existence of these universes.

Last edited:

bxadook said:
.. I have to reiterate that I am speaking in idiots terms though, I have no grasp of any form of mathematical physics, which proves the existence of these universes.

Theories of physics don't "prove the existence" of anything. The idea of parallel universes is also a very speculative one, and there's a lot of confusion surrounding the topic and what a "parallel universe" could mean. It's certainly not an established part of physics, so don't take it too seriously.

Related to Vastness of space and infinite universes

1. What is the vastness of space and infinite universes?

The vastness of space refers to the immense size and distance of objects in the observable universe, including galaxies, stars, and planets. Infinite universes, also known as the multiverse theory, proposes that there are multiple universes beyond our own, each with different physical laws and characteristics.

2. How do scientists measure the vastness of space?

Scientists use various methods to measure the vastness of space, such as parallax, which is the apparent shift in position of a nearby star when viewed from different points in Earth's orbit. They also use redshift, which measures the stretching of light from distant galaxies due to the expansion of the universe.

3. Is there an end to the vastness of space?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that there is an end to the vastness of space. The observable universe is estimated to be around 93 billion light-years in diameter, but it is constantly expanding. This means that there could be an infinite amount of space beyond what we can currently observe.

4. How does the concept of infinite universes impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of infinite universes challenges our traditional understanding of the universe and its origins. It suggests that our universe may not be unique and that there could be an infinite number of other universes with different physical laws and conditions. It also raises questions about the existence of other forms of life in these universes.

5. Can we ever explore the vastness of space and infinite universes?

Currently, our technology and understanding of the universe are limited, so it is unlikely that we will be able to physically explore the vastness of space and infinite universes. However, scientists continue to develop new technologies and theories that may one day allow us to explore beyond our own universe.