1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector identity involving grad and a function

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question is to use index notation to show that the following is true, where a is a three-vector and f is some function.

2. Relevant equations

vector_thing.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

Hmmmm . . . I haven't really got anything to put here!

I am starting to get to grips with the basics of index notation, and using the Levi-Civitas identities for other identity proofs. I haven't ever worked with grad before though, and I can't find any help online because I can't find any other identities that look like this one. Does it have a name or something to help me search?

The closest I have found is "The product of a vector and a scalar" on wikipedia

scalar_and_vector.jpg

but my question states that f is a function, not a scalar, which must make some difference I guess! I just don't know where to start here, do any of the operations within my question have an index-notation version using the LC tensor or similar?

Any help much appreciated :)

PS: You will need to click the thumbnails in the post to see the full pictures of the equations. I am not much of a computer guy. Or a maths guy, it seems :(

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

f is a scalar function, as opposed to, say, a vector function.

The i-th component of [itex]\nabla f[/itex] is [itex]\partial_i[/itex]f. Use that and the Levi-Civita symbol to prove the identity.

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3
    I think the root of my problem here is that I have no idea how to write out the starting equation in ordinary longhand notation (as components of vectors), let alone in index notation.

Is [itex]\nabla f[/itex] equal to [itex] f \nabla[/itex]?

And what do I get from multiplying [itex]\nabla[/itex] with fa?

5. Oct 20, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you don't understand the notation or what the gradient is, a good place to start is looking up what it means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradient

Your textbooks will probably have a more accessible discussion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook