Vector multiplication and division

In summary: This can be useful in physics, such as in the example described where a person wants to cut their travel time in half by doubling their velocity vector.
jamiebean
what is the use of multiplying and dividing a vector by a scalar?

Physics news on Phys.org
jamiebean said:
Is this a math or a physics question? If the later, what examples to you know from physics?

Multiplying or dividing a vector by a scalar is possible to modify the module of the vector increasing or decreasing it. For example if you have the vector ## \vec{v}=(1,1)## on the plane and the scalar ##\alpha=2## the result of the product (scalar-vector) is the vector ##\vec{w}=\alpha\cdot \vec{v}=2\cdot (1,1)=(2,2)##. The module of ##\vec{w}## is equal to ##2\sqrt{2}## that is bigger respect to the module of ##\vec{v}## that is ##\sqrt{2}## (in this case in order to have the module you can use the Pythagorean theorem so ##|\vec{w}|=\sqrt{2^2+2^2}=\sqrt{8}=2\sqrt{2}## and ##|\vec{v}|=\sqrt{1^2+1^2}=\sqrt{2}##).

Ssnow

jamiebean said:
I am traveling 30 mph to the west in a car on the way to my grandmother's house. The trip is taking a long time and I want to cut the remaining travel time in half.
I can therefor multiply my velocity vector by 2 to get the new vector of 60 mph to the west.

jamiebean said:

They scale the magnitude of the vector. For example, a scalar with a value of ##2## can be used to scale the magnitude up by a factor of ##2## or down by a factor of ##2##, by multiplying or dividing, respectively, by ##2##.

1. What is vector multiplication and division?

Vector multiplication and division are mathematical operations performed on vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. Multiplication and division of vectors involve manipulating their components to obtain a resulting vector.

2. What are the different types of vector multiplication?

There are two types of vector multiplication: dot product (also known as scalar product) and cross product (also known as vector product). Dot product results in a scalar quantity while cross product results in a vector quantity.

3. How is vector multiplication and division used in physics?

Vector multiplication and division are used in various areas of physics, particularly in mechanics and electromagnetism. Dot product is used to calculate work, power, and angle between two vectors, while cross product is used to calculate torque, magnetic force, and angular momentum.

4. What are some properties of vector multiplication and division?

Some properties of vector multiplication and division include commutativity, distributivity, and associativity. The dot product of two vectors is commutative, while the cross product is anti-commutative. Distributivity holds for both operations, and the dot product is also associative.

5. How is vector multiplication and division different from scalar multiplication and division?

Vector multiplication and division involve manipulating both magnitude and direction, while scalar multiplication and division only involve manipulating magnitude. Additionally, vector multiplication results in a vector quantity, while scalar multiplication results in a scalar quantity.