Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocities of earth's atmosphere, exosphere etc

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    Earth's atmosphere at sea level has the same velocity as earth's solid surface: 465metres/sec. What about at higher heights? E.g. what's the velocity of the (particles of) exosphere?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have to get ready for a meeting, so this will be a bit brief. I'll give you some search terms. Try these, and come back with some more specific questions.
    • Diurnal bulge
    • Atmospheric tides
    • Neutral wind velocity
    • Upper atmosphere wind velocity
    • Upper atmosphere density variations
    • Effect of solar activity on the upper atmosphere

4. Aug 4, 2010 #3
    The question was full lucid and specific: The motion Δx of the speed 465meteres/sec of the air is that which is drawn on the reference frame which does not move together with the self-rotating motion of the earth. Thus I asked the velocities the Δx of which are drawn on that reference frame.

5. Aug 4, 2010 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Earth's upper atmosphere is extremely turbulent, partly because it is less dense and partly because the sun has a night and day effect. The cooler night air tries to descend against the rising air currents on the dayside - and clouds stir the mix. It is quite chaotic and having meteoroligists trying to explain the effects on local weather day by day further compounds matters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook