Velocity feedback damping in aircraft

• Thread starter Emzielou83
  • Start date
Describe velocity feedback damping in relation to aircraft systems?

my attempt at an answer:

I know what damping is, and i know what velocity feedback is, I just can see how they fit together. I think it's something along the lines of;

an auxilery power unit has a speed sensor attached, this in turn feeds the auxilery poer control unit which uses the signal to control the speed of the APU.

OR;

synchro's used in a HSI have a pick off of which the signal is fed back to stop the synchro 'hunting'

Can someone help me? I think i'm completely lost

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Describe velocity feedback damping in relation to aircraft systems?

my attempt at an answer:

I know what damping is, and i know what velocity feedback is, I just can see how they fit together. I think it's something along the lines of;

an auxilery power unit has a speed sensor attached, this in turn feeds the auxilery poer control unit which uses the signal to control the speed of the APU.

OR;

synchro's used in a HSI have a pick off of which the signal is fed back to stop the synchro 'hunting'

Can someone help me? I think i'm completely lost
I was initially thinking that it might be analogous to speed sensitive steering in cars (you can google that to see what it is). But then I googled velocity feedback damping +aircraft, and got some interesting hits. Have a look through the hit list to see it it gets you on the right track:

http://www.google.com/search?source...01US302&q=velocity+feedback+damping++aircraft

Feed back dampening of an aircraft can best be explained with a pitch hold example. With an unaugmented pitch hold the transient response (response time) may not be as desired. So to augment the system and gain better damping characteristics, the pitch rate gyro state can be sent back which gives the error of the system much faster than the pitch sensor does.

And of course with a velocity hold, acceleration would be fed back to quicken the response...

Last edited: