Velocity feedback damping in aircraft

In summary, velocity feedback damping in relation to aircraft systems involves using feedback from sensors in the aircraft to control and improve the response time and stability of the system. This can be seen in examples such as pitch hold, where the pitch rate gyro state is fed back to improve the damping characteristics of the system. In the case of velocity hold, acceleration is also fed back to improve the response time.
Emzielou83
Describe velocity feedback damping in relation to aircraft systems?

my attempt at an answer:

I know what damping is, and i know what velocity feedback is, I just can see how they fit together. I think it's something along the lines of;

an auxilery power unit has a speed sensor attached, this in turn feeds the auxilery poer control unit which uses the signal to control the speed of the APU.

OR;

synchro's used in a HSI have a pick off of which the signal is fed back to stop the synchro 'hunting'

Can someone help me? I think I'm completely lost

Physics news on Phys.org
Emzielou83 said:
Describe velocity feedback damping in relation to aircraft systems?

my attempt at an answer:

I know what damping is, and i know what velocity feedback is, I just can see how they fit together. I think it's something along the lines of;

an auxilery power unit has a speed sensor attached, this in turn feeds the auxilery poer control unit which uses the signal to control the speed of the APU.

OR;

synchro's used in a HSI have a pick off of which the signal is fed back to stop the synchro 'hunting'

Can someone help me? I think I'm completely lost

I was initially thinking that it might be analogous to speed sensitive steering in cars (you can google that to see what it is). But then I googled velocity feedback damping +aircraft, and got some interesting hits. Have a look through the hit list to see it it gets you on the right track:

http://www.google.com/search?source...01US302&q=velocity+feedback+damping++aircraft

Feed back dampening of an aircraft can best be explained with a pitch hold example. With an unaugmented pitch hold the transient response (response time) may not be as desired. So to augment the system and gain better damping characteristics, the pitch rate gyro state can be sent back which gives the error of the system much faster than the pitch sensor does.

And of course with a velocity hold, acceleration would be fed back to quicken the response...

Last edited:

1. What is velocity feedback damping in aircraft?

Velocity feedback damping is a control system used in aircraft to improve stability and response. It works by adjusting control surfaces based on the aircraft's velocity, providing a counteracting force to any changes in speed.

2. How does velocity feedback damping work?

Velocity feedback damping uses sensors to measure the aircraft's velocity and compares it to the desired velocity. The difference is then used to adjust the control surfaces, such as the ailerons or elevators, to maintain stability and reduce any deviations from the desired speed.

3. What are the benefits of using velocity feedback damping in aircraft?

Velocity feedback damping can improve the stability and handling of an aircraft, making it easier for pilots to control and reducing the risk of accidents. It can also help reduce fatigue on the aircraft's structure and components, prolonging their lifespan.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using velocity feedback damping?

One potential drawback of velocity feedback damping is that it can add complexity to the aircraft's control system, requiring additional sensors and computer systems. This can increase the weight and cost of the aircraft.

5. Is velocity feedback damping used in all aircraft?

Velocity feedback damping is commonly used in modern commercial and military aircraft, as well as some smaller private planes. However, it may not be used in older or simpler aircraft models. The use of velocity feedback damping also varies depending on the specific aircraft's design and purpose.