Is Ventilation Necessary for Safe 3D Printing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the hazards of 3D printing and the importance of adequate ventilation when using a 3D printer. The topic is becoming more relevant as more non-experts adopt the technology, raising concerns about safety and ease of use. The conversation also touches on the responsibility of manufacturers to specify ventilation requirements and the potential risks associated with using 3D printers in private residences without proper ventilation. Additionally, the Material Safety Data Sheets for common 3D printing filaments are mentioned, highlighting the potential irritants and gasses emitted by these materials. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the need for caution and awareness when using 3D printers.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
3D printers emit hazardous gasses.
:warning:

Sigh. Yet another hazard to worry about. You can just order a 3D printer online, plug it in, and start using it. But you shouldn't do that until you provide adequate ventilation.https://www.zdnet.com/article/volatile-compounds-3d-printing-has-a-serious-safety-problem/
"The industry has looked the other way on topics like toxic emissions, hazardous chemicals and powders because it was being managed well by expert users, who placed 3D printers in separate rooms away from users, or in well-ventilated settings," says Andy Kalambi, president and CEO, RIZE, Inc., an additive manufacturing company. "As non-experts adopt the technology, safety and ease of use will be paramount considerations."

Likes Asymptotic and jrmichler
Engineering news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
Summary: 3D printers emit hazardous gasses.

:warning:

Sigh. Yet another hazard to worry about. You can just order a 3D printer online, plug it in, and start using it. But you shouldn't do that until you provide adequate ventilation.
The manufacturers are responsible for specifying ventilation requirements. I don't understand how they could get a UL listing if they don't.

Edit; Maybe I'm taking for granted something I shouldn't. I'm used to dealing with mature industries and products. Maybe there is a thin spot in regulation here.

russ_watters said:
The manufacturers are responsible for specifying ventilation requirements. I don't understand how they could get a UL listing if they don't.

Edit; Maybe I'm taking for granted something I shouldn't. I'm used to dealing with mature industries and products. Maybe there is a thin spot in regulation here.
I'm thinking of private people setting them up in private residences, or apartments. For many of them, reading a manual or a warning sticker or a government regulation is an antiquated behavior left over from the buggy whip era.

I got to use some 3D printers, the Ultimaker 2+ and 3 in a nearby library’s maker space...
No ventilation but also no weird smells from the molten plastic or PLA... and I know the temperature of the nozzle is 250 Celsius. I’m sure the material they use makes sure the molecules don’t break down at that temperature they melt.

You can find the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for filaments of PLA, ABS, PC+PBT at:
https://www.pushplastic.com/
Click the plastic you want then scroll down to a link to the MSDS.

You should read and evaluate for yourself, but my quick scanning of them indicates:
  • None are formally listed as a Hazardous Substance.
  • All three: Dust can be an irritant. Do not release to environment (fish, etc. may eat it)
  • ABS and PC+PBT emit hazardous gasses if burned (doesn't everything?). Residue build-up in machine ventilating systems may be hazardous.

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes anorlunda

1. What is ventilation for 3D printers?

Ventilation for 3D printers refers to the process of removing harmful fumes and particles from the air that are produced during the printing process. This is important for the health and safety of those working with 3D printers.

2. Why is ventilation necessary for 3D printers?

3D printers use a variety of materials, such as plastics and resins, that can release toxic fumes when heated. In addition, the printing process can also produce fine particles that can be inhaled and cause respiratory problems. Proper ventilation helps to remove these harmful substances from the air.

3. How does ventilation for 3D printers work?

Ventilation for 3D printers typically involves the use of a ventilation system, such as an exhaust fan or air purifier, to remove fumes and particles from the air. This system can be connected directly to the printer or placed nearby to capture the emissions.

4. What are the benefits of using ventilation for 3D printers?

Aside from protecting the health and safety of those working with 3D printers, proper ventilation can also help to improve the quality of prints. By removing fumes and particles from the air, it can prevent them from settling on the print and causing imperfections or clogging the printer's nozzle.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for ventilation in 3D printing?

Currently, there are no specific regulations for ventilation in 3D printing. However, it is recommended to follow general guidelines for ventilation in workplaces, such as ensuring proper air circulation and using ventilation systems that meet industry standards.

Back