• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Venturing into calculus - basic book required ;

• Thread starter dreamLord
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hey.

So I've decided to teach myself calculus. I bought 'Calculus Made Easy' by Sylvanus Thompson, and finished it recently, and must say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

So now I need a book that is at the next level. I have a problem with long texts - anything longer than 200-300 pages and my enthusiasm drops off slowly. Also, I'm doing Calculus purely because of Physics, so I doubt I require THAT much rigour.

I found Calculus Made Easy pretty easy on the whole, but some questions tough. So I need a really easy text to progress. Suggestions? Thanks!

Answers and Replies

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
elliot gootman has a nice one. but if you finished calculus made easy you may be ready for a more difficult one than you think. you might try one of thomas' books or one of thomas and finney, or edwards and penney, or cruse and granberg.

Elliot Gootman isn't available at the bookstore I normally order from =/

As I said, I didn't finish CME with a breeze, I had a decent amount of stoppages during question solving. Still, can you recommend me something specific from those authors ? Shortest and easiest is what I need. I don't have much time to delve into the details as I need to concentrate on my Physics. Thanks !

Thomas' Calculus is a brilliant book and I believe it's suitable for you. Plenty of questions and examples. From cover to cover, it's about a thousand pages - but it's mostly questions and examples.
If you want something shorter, try Understanding Calculus Concepts by Eli Passow - part of the Schaum's Outline series. Less than 300 pages. Short texts and many worked examples.
But I believe you should try Thomas' Calculus. You can easily get the book and its solution manual online.