Verifying the Correctness of Your Answer

• Thread starter angela107
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of AND and OR in mathematical notation, specifically in the context of increasing and decreasing functions. The difference between the notation ##\cap## and ##\cup## is explained and the correct notation for increasing on a specific interval is clarified. The conversation also touches on the concept of asymptotes and their effect on the domain of a function. It is noted that the interval (6,7] was omitted from the original answer, but it is still considered to be increasing.
angela107
Homework Statement
Given the following graph, what are the intervals where the function is increasing, decreasing, or constant?
Relevant Equations
n/a
Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 12.47.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 2.32.42 PM.png

Is this answer correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see what you mean, but you should write OR instead of AND. The word AND corresponds to ##\cap## while OR corresponds to ##\cup##, which is what you need here.

So, to be totally clear, rather write: Increasing on ##[-4,-2]\cup [4,6]## and similarly for decreasing.

I'm not really sure, but if in ##x=-6## there is an asymptote, then the function is not defined in ##\left(-\infty,-6\right]##

What happened to (6,7]?

haruspex said:
What happened to (6,7]?
that is also increasing.

angela107 said:
that is also increasing.
Sure, just pointing out that you omitted it from your answer.

Likes angela107

1. How do I know if my answer is correct?

One way to verify the correctness of your answer is to double check your calculations and make sure you followed the correct steps. You can also compare your answer to a trusted source or ask a peer to review your work.

2. What should I do if my answer is different from the expected result?

If your answer is different from the expected result, try going back through your calculations to see if you made any errors. You can also try using a different method or approach to solving the problem. If you are still unsure, seek help from a teacher or tutor.

3. Is it important to show my work when verifying the correctness of my answer?

Yes, it is important to show your work when verifying the correctness of your answer. This allows you to identify any mistakes and also helps others understand your thought process and how you arrived at your answer.

4. Can I use a calculator to verify the correctness of my answer?

Using a calculator can be helpful in verifying the correctness of your answer, but it is not always reliable. It is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving the problem rather than solely relying on a calculator.

5. What should I do if I am still unsure about the correctness of my answer?

If you are still unsure about the correctness of your answer, seek help from a teacher, tutor, or peer. You can also try solving the problem using a different method or approach to see if you get the same result. Remember to always double check your work and ask for clarification if needed.