Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical Farming (And could it Profitable)

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    Vertical Farming.... (And could it Profitable)

Just looking for your take here folks, speak your mind.

Kind of an interesting idea, I'll sure say that.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Vertical Farming.... (And could it Profitable)

Link, please :tongue2:

4. Apr 19, 2010 #3

verticalfarming.jpg
    que?

5. Apr 19, 2010 #4

The crops grow taller that way. Hence more yield.

6. Apr 19, 2010 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, I guess if you could keep it from falling over, you could plant more per horizontal footage. I'd hate to try to get a harvesting machine up that though.

7. Apr 19, 2010 #6
  8. Apr 19, 2010 #7

verticals tend to cast shadows. you've only got so much energy/m^2 to work with, and going vertical isn't going to help much, i'd think.

9. Apr 19, 2010 #8
  10. Apr 19, 2010 #9

What about genetically modifying plants to use less sunlight? Okay, now were talking major government intervention....

How much solar/wind/bio power could the thing produce.... is is POSSIBLE to make up for it? Imagine if the world suffered environmental cataclysm (volcanic winter, nuclear exchange, giant asteroid, global warming), you get the idea: food in these things would be a lot more resilient if society could remain intact enough to continue power distribution. Which would only be true if we got a lot of food from these things.

Or consider nuclear, other 'sustainable' forms of power...

or that there are 6 billion 700 million people and a finite supply of accessible, arable land. And that modern agriculture reduces trace nutrients in the food (nitrogen-phosphorous-potassium, remember?) stuff is great, but NOT everything your supposed to get from a plant.

Like despite fundamental energy needs, could this simply be more efficient? Well, as wikipedia says, they would need to do a cost analysis... try the criticisms section for details. Seems to be what your talking about.

Its not quite morning yet... not tired. Or mabye we could replace all crop farms with solar farms and THEN go vertical;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  11. Apr 19, 2010 #10

russ_watters

Agreed.

Er, wait - in the future, are buildings and energy both going to be free?

12. Apr 20, 2010 #11

My understanding of this idea, and why some people wanted it, was that it would allow people in dense urban areas to get food in a local area so that the supply line was cut. Also the big reason was to keep GM types of food out of the supply chain.

Like Proton Soup pointed out the energy requirements for these projects are huge. Also putting things like solar panels over the side of the building make it dark inside so good luck growing plants. With wind it would be lucky if more then 1 turbine could be put on top of the building. As for bio mass it is a one use crop usage, so either food or fuel, no having your cake and eating it too.

13. Apr 20, 2010 #12
  14. Apr 20, 2010 #13
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  15. Apr 20, 2010 #14
  16. Apr 20, 2010 #15

Evo

This is a great video on the Disney vertical and hydroponic gardens.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  17. Apr 20, 2010 #16

those would be great for peaches and pears. the peach trees we had when i was a kid got so overloaded with fruit that the branches would snap off. and the pear tree grew tall and spindly and would flop over. figs are less of a problem, but could make harvesting easier.

18. Apr 20, 2010 #17

I've gotta say Evo, that is quite amazing. I wanna go to see this now :tongue:. That lemon waas HUGEEEE

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook