Vertical Farming (And could it Profitable)

• Thread starter k_squared
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vertical
In summary: Mickey Mouse shaped pumpkin/three was funny as well. It's amazing how much they can grow in such a small space.In summary, Vertical farming, also known as "farmscrapers," is a concept that involves growing crops in stacked layers, using limited space and resources. While it may seem like a solution to the world's growing population and limited arable land, there are many variables to consider, such as energy use, cost analysis, and the potential impact on the food supply chain. However, some examples, like the Disney vertical and hydroponic gardens, show potential for efficient and sustainable food production.
k_squared
Vertical Farming... (And could it Profitable)

Just looking for your take here folks, speak your mind.

Kind of an interesting idea, I'll sure say that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Link, please :tongue2:

verticalfarming.jpg

que?

The crops grow taller that way. Hence more yield.

MotoH said:
verticalfarming.jpg

que?
Yeah, I guess if you could keep it from falling over, you could plant more per horizontal footage. I'd hate to try to get a harvesting machine up that though.

verticals tend to cast shadows. you've only got so much energy/m^2 to work with, and going vertical isn't going to help much, i'd think.

What about genetically modifying plants to use less sunlight? Okay, now were talking major government intervention...

How much solar/wind/bio power could the thing produce... is is POSSIBLE to make up for it? Imagine if the world suffered environmental cataclysm (volcanic winter, nuclear exchange, giant asteroid, global warming), you get the idea: food in these things would be a lot more resilient if society could remain intact enough to continue power distribution. Which would only be true if we got a lot of food from these things.

Or consider nuclear, other 'sustainable' forms of power...

or that there are 6 billion 700 million people and a finite supply of accessible, arable land. And that modern agriculture reduces trace nutrients in the food (nitrogen-phosphorous-potassium, remember?) stuff is great, but NOT everything your supposed to get from a plant.

Like despite fundamental energy needs, could this simply be more efficient? Well, as wikipedia says, they would need to do a cost analysis... try the criticisms section for details. Seems to be what your talking about.

Its not quite morning yet... not tired. Or mabye we could replace all crop farms with solar farms and THEN go vertical;)

Last edited:

Proton Soup said:
oh, now that's just silly unless you're growing mushrooms.
Agreed.

Er, wait - in the future, are buildings and energy both going to be free?

k_squared said:
What about genetically modifying plants to use less sunlight?... My bolding added for emphasis

My understanding of this idea, and why some people wanted it, was that it would allow people in dense urban areas to get food in a local area so that the supply line was cut. Also the big reason was to keep GM types of food out of the supply chain.

Like Proton Soup pointed out the energy requirements for these projects are huge. Also putting things like solar panels over the side of the building make it dark inside so good luck growing plants. With wind it would be lucky if more then 1 turbine could be put on top of the building. As for bio mass it is a one use crop usage, so either food or fuel, no having your cake and eating it too.

This is a great video on the Disney vertical and hydroponic gardens.

Last edited by a moderator:

hypatia said:

those would be great for peaches and pears. the peach trees we had when i was a kid got so overloaded with fruit that the branches would snap off. and the pear tree grew tall and spindly and would flop over. figs are less of a problem, but could make harvesting easier.

Evo said:
This is a great video on the Disney vertical and hydroponic gardens.

I've got to say Evo, that is quite amazing. I want to go to see this now :tongue:. That lemon waas HUGEEEE

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is vertical farming?

Vertical farming is a method of growing plants indoors using stacked layers or shelves in a controlled environment. It often utilizes hydroponic or aeroponic systems to provide plants with nutrients and water, and artificial lighting to mimic natural sunlight.

2. How does vertical farming differ from traditional farming?

Vertical farming differs from traditional farming in several ways. Firstly, it does not rely on soil as plants are grown hydroponically or aeroponically. It also uses artificial lighting instead of natural sunlight. Additionally, vertical farming can be done in urban areas, making it more accessible and sustainable compared to traditional farming which requires vast land and resources.

3. Is vertical farming profitable?

The profitability of vertical farming depends on several factors such as initial investment, operational costs, and market demand for the produce. While it may require a significant initial investment, vertical farming can be highly efficient and yield higher crop yields compared to traditional farming, potentially leading to profitability in the long run.

4. What are the benefits of vertical farming?

Vertical farming offers several benefits, including year-round crop production, reduced water usage, and elimination of pesticide use. It also reduces transportation costs as the produce can be grown closer to the consumer, and it has a smaller carbon footprint compared to traditional farming methods.

5. What are the potential challenges of vertical farming?

Some potential challenges of vertical farming include high energy costs for artificial lighting, potential technical difficulties with the systems, and the need for skilled labor. Additionally, there may be limitations in crop variety and size due to the confined space in vertical farming facilities.