Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Very simple Accelerated motions

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At t=0 an object is released from rest at the top of a tall building. At the time t_0 a second object is dropped from the same point. Ignoring air resistance, show that the time at which the objects have a vertical separation L is given by: t=L/(gt_0 )+t_0/2.

2. Relevant equations

L=v_0*t + (1/2)at^2

3. The attempt at a solution

With much fidgeting with the above equation, I decided that the distance must be equal to L=(1/2)gt^2-(1/2)g(t_0+t)^2. However when I simplified the equation, L=-L/(gt_0)-t_0/2 which is the equation I supposed to get multiplied by -1. Since the object is going down, maybe L is supposed to be -L?

More importantly, I was confused on how to represent the change in time for the second object and the first object.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, dman.
    I don't think your expression L=v_0*t + (1/2)at^2 can be correct because it doesn't include a variable t_0, which clearly affects L.
    Why not start with an expression for the position of the first object as a function of time?
    Then an expression for the position of the second. It will probably have a t - t_0 in it.
    Finally, subtract the two to get L.

4. Dec 19, 2011 #3
    Hi, I have the same problem, did you manage to solve it?

5. Dec 21, 2011 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Yes, it works out well. Show your work if you would like help with it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook