Virus and Zombies (Resident Evil and ?)

• Thread starter chirhone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virus
In summary: Zombing refers to a person controlling another person with zombies-like behavior. It's not really possible to create a virus that causes zombies because it would require a lot of money and a lot of research. The main issue with zombies is their predisposition to only attack non-zombies.There is more precedent for a fungal root of zombification. A parasite taking over a host to further its own ends happens in nature - there is a fungus whose life-cycle involves being picked up by an ant, taking over the ant, getting the ant to climb to the top of the highest plant it can find, clamp on with its jaws and die, growing a fungus from its body which
chirhone
Covid-19 affects mainly the elderly so the results are partial lockdown and many youth still swimming at Miami Beach. And the elderly victims are drowning at ICUs even with ventilators.

In Contagion. The virus affectedthe brain instead of the lungs and the result was encephalitis (infection of the brain). How would it differ if the present virus affects everyone and the brain. Would the lockdown be stricter or bring more chaos (with more military involvement, i don't see military with machine guns in the checkpoints in our city)?

And ultimately. What if the virus affects the brain and influence thinking. Can it cause zombies? Theoretically if the defence department were given billions of dollars to create virus that can cause zombies. Can it be done?

Besides Resident Evil, what other flicks involves the virus and zombies? I watched Resident Evil many times and don't want to watch it again. What good zombie flicks start with virus spread? Are they all caused by virus (not bacteria)?

Physics news on Phys.org
There was Warning Sign, back in the 80's I think. I think there was one called Z or Z-nation, maybe.

Also there was a show I saw on Discovery or Science Channel a few years back, which stated that a rabies outbreak could make people behave similar to zombies, before they died.

World War Z?

Likes scottdave
chirhone said:
And ultimately. What if the virus affects the brain and influence thinking. Can it cause zombies? Theoretically if the defence department were given billions of dollars to create virus that can cause zombies. Can it be done?

You mean something like nonfatal rabies? Maybe it's possible. But why should the defence department do that?

The main issue with zombies is their predisposition to only attack non-zombies.

There is more precedent for a fungal root of zombification. A parasite taking over a host to further its own ends happens in nature - there is a fungus whose life-cycle involves being picked up by an ant, taking over the ant, getting the ant to climb to the top of the highest plant it can find, clamp on with its jaws and die, growing a fungus from its body which can then spread spores much further thanks to the ant climbing up the tree.

There will not be any real evidence to suggest it can be done because anyone who's doing it will be doing so illegally. But I think that a fungus is more likely to be the culprit than a virus.

• Haha
Likes sysprog
There are lots of interesting parasitic interactions where the parasite influences the hosts behavior to further its reproductive success.
Toxoplasma gondii comes to mind immediately (and has been considered as affecting humans) as such a case.
You might want to look into Carl Zimm's book Parasite rex which reviews a variety of weird parasitic relationships. (It has a wonderful picture of an amphipod (a crustacean) parasite that has eaten and replaced the tongue of a large fish.)
It would surprise me if there is any limit to the kind of parasite would be able to evolve (given enough time) these manipulative mechanisms.

I have always found it interesting that the first Zombie movies (in the 1930-50's I think) were concerned with reanimating corpses to serve their "master" (voodoo doctors in Haiti usually), kind of like being hypnotized.
Somewhere, I got the understanding that this was based on the use of drugs by voodoo doctors in Haiti that allowed them to control the "will" of their victims, perhaps after having a fake funeral.
As I recall, drugs in Haiti were investigated for these properties, but don't recall any details.

Now, zombies are different (and more exciting).

Likes sysprog
There was a guy on a police forum who made reference to people "zombing" other people and to people being "zombed", so ok then, maybe we should allow more words and at least one alternative spelling -- maybe now it should be ok to use 'zomber' for the one who did the zombing and 'zombee' for the one who got zombed.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
I got the understanding that this was based on the use of drugs by voodoo doctors in Haiti that allowed them to control the "will" of their victims, perhaps after having a fake funeral.
As I recall, drugs in Haiti were investigated for these properties, but don't recall any details.

Now, zombies are different (and more exciting).
There was the 1988 movie The Serpent and the Rainbow which was based on the voodoo powder, which emulated (simulated?) death in a person.

Likes BillTre

What is the difference between a virus and a zombie?

A virus is a microscopic infectious agent that replicates inside living cells and can cause disease. A zombie, on the other hand, is a fictional undead creature that is typically portrayed as a reanimated corpse that feeds on living human beings.

Can a virus turn someone into a zombie?

No, viruses cannot turn someone into a zombie. The concept of a virus causing a zombie outbreak is purely fictional and has no scientific basis. In reality, viruses can cause illnesses and diseases, but they cannot reanimate dead cells or turn someone into a zombie.

Is the T-virus from Resident Evil real?

No, the T-virus from Resident Evil is not real. It is a fictional virus created for the video game and movie franchise. While there are real viruses that can cause similar symptoms, such as rabies, the T-virus is not based on any real scientific research or evidence.

Can viruses be used as biological weapons?

Yes, viruses can be used as biological weapons. In fact, there have been instances in history where viruses were intentionally used as weapons, such as the smallpox-infected blankets given to Native Americans by European colonizers. However, the use of biological weapons is highly regulated and strictly prohibited by international laws and treaties.

How do viruses and zombies relate to each other in pop culture?

In pop culture, viruses and zombies are often portrayed together in the context of a zombie apocalypse. This is because in many fictional stories, a virus is the cause of the zombie outbreak. However, in reality, viruses and zombies have no connection and are two separate concepts.