Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Viscous damping acting on rotating disk

1. Mar 6, 2015 #1
    I am looking for a way to calculate the torque, hence the viscous damping coefficient per T = c*w, acting on a rotating metal disk in an oil sump. How can I go about it? Thanks!

PS. I am not a ME so please forgive my ignorance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2015 #2
    You may be able to find something in the fluid mechanics literature about the torque on a finite disk rotating in an infinite ocean of viscous fluid. I don't think it is something that you are going to find in everyday textbooks, and probably not on line. I assume you are not interested in setting up the problem and solving it yourself or using CFD software.

Chet

4. Mar 6, 2015 #3
    Thank you for the reply. Well I would be interested in that but I don't have the necessary skills to do so. I was hoping to find an answer online because I thought it would be a common fluid dynamics problem in the ME world. I could search the literature but I would need help with choosing the right keywords.

5. Mar 6, 2015 #4
    Try viscous drag on rotating disc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook