Calculation Error: 0.19 = (0.14 - 0.13) - 0.06/2*log(1/(0.1*[Pb2+]))

In summary, the calculation error in the given equation is 0.19. It was determined by subtracting the calculated value from the expected value and dividing by the expected value. The numbers and symbols in the equation represent values and variables used in the calculation, including numerical values, a constant, and a logarithmic function. The calculation error can be reduced by accurately measuring and entering values, as well as using precise instruments and techniques. It is important to calculate and minimize errors in scientific research to ensure accurate and reliable results, avoid incorrect conclusions, and improve the overall quality and credibility of the research.
hidemi
Homework Statement
The voltaic cell, Pb(s) Pb2+, Na2SO4(0.1M),PbSO4(s) // Sn2+(1M) Sn(s), generates voltage of 0.19V. The standard reduction potentials for Pb2+ and Sn2+ are – 0.13V and -0.14V, respectively.
(A)What is the concentration of Pb2+ in the anode compartment?
(B)Calculate the Ksp for PbSO4

Ans: (A)1.75x10-7M (B)1.75*10-8
Relevant Equations
E1 = E2 - 0.06/n*log(K)
My calculation:
(A) 0.19 = (0.14 - 0.13) - 0.06/2*log(1/(0.1*[Pb2+]) => [Pb2+] = 4.6*10^6

I wonder where I did wrong. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out the equation for the cell reaction. Then write out the correct expression for K.

There appears to be a mistake in your calculation. However, I wonder if the questioner made the same mistake, or there is a mistake in the given data, because I disagree with the given answer.

Thank you for pointing out the mistake and I think I got a more reasonable answer.

What is the meaning of the equation "Calculation Error: 0.19 = (0.14 - 0.13) - 0.06/2*log(1/(0.1*[Pb2+]))"?

The equation represents a calculation error of 0.19, which is equal to the difference between 0.14 and 0.13, minus half of the logarithm of the reciprocal of 0.1 multiplied by the concentration of lead ions (Pb2+).

What is the significance of the calculation error in this equation?

The calculation error indicates that there is a discrepancy between the expected value and the actual value of the equation. This could be due to human error, rounding errors, or other factors that affect the accuracy of the calculation.

What factors could contribute to the calculation error in this equation?

There are several potential factors that could contribute to the calculation error, such as incorrect input values, rounding errors, or limitations in the precision of the calculation method. Additionally, the equation may be affected by external factors such as experimental conditions or measurement errors.

How can the calculation error be minimized or eliminated?

To minimize or eliminate the calculation error, it is important to ensure that all input values are accurate and precise. This includes using the correct units and avoiding rounding errors. Additionally, using more precise calculation methods and controlling for external factors can also help reduce the error.

What implications does this calculation error have for the overall results of the experiment?

The calculation error may affect the overall results of the experiment by introducing inaccuracies or uncertainties. It is important to consider the magnitude of the error and its potential impact on the conclusions drawn from the experiment. In some cases, the error may be negligible, but in others, it may significantly impact the validity and reliability of the results.