Volume of a Gas from a thermal decomposition

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting calcium hydrogen carbonate into calcium carbonate, water, and carbon dioxide. The individual is attempting to calculate the moles of each component using the ideal gas law equation but encounters an error due to a typo in the book. The typo is eventually discovered and the correct results are obtained. The individual also inquires about how to delete a post.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
Thermal decomposition of calcium hydrogen carbonate yields calcium carbonate water and carbon dioxide. Calculate the volume of carbon dioxide measured at 0 °C and 1.00 atm that is obtained by heating 80.0 grams of calcium carbonate
Relevant Equations
gas laws
Ca(HCO3)2 -> CaCO3 + H2O + CO2

First I evaluate the moles of calcium carbonate (don't mind the units, just to save time)

##\frac {80.0}{40,00+12.01+3*16,00}= 0,799 mol##

From the equation, correct me if I am wrong , one mole of CaCO3 is proportional to one mole of CO2, so from this I can say that also CO2 has 0,799 mol.

Using the ideal gas law equation PV=nRT, I can compute V:

##V=\frac{nRT}{P} ##

inserting the values, I don't get the expected result, so I suspect that something is wrong, Any help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok problem solved, there was a typo in the book.
it should be 80 g of calcium hydrogen carbonate, not calcium carbonate. with that correction the results match.
By the way, how is possible to delete a post?

What is thermal decomposition?

Thermal decomposition is a chemical reaction in which a compound breaks down into simpler substances when heated.

How is the volume of a gas affected by thermal decomposition?

The volume of a gas can increase, decrease, or remain constant during thermal decomposition, depending on the specific reaction and conditions.

What factors can influence the volume of a gas during thermal decomposition?

The temperature, pressure, and initial volume of the gas can all impact the resulting volume of a gas during thermal decomposition.

How is the volume of a gas calculated during thermal decomposition?

The volume of a gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which takes into account the temperature, pressure, and number of moles of gas present.

What are some real-world applications of studying the volume of a gas from thermal decomposition?

Understanding the volume changes during thermal decomposition can be useful in various industries, such as chemical manufacturing, environmental monitoring, and gas storage and transportation.