Volume of sphere remaining after boring a cylinder through its center

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Koey
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A circle with a radius of (a/2) is bored through the centre of a sphere of radius a. Find the volume of the remaining solid.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I've been trying this for an hour now and I've been trying to find the remaining volume by finding the area of the cylinder bored + the little side bits on each side. I've just been getting really messy answers which aren't close to the actual answer.

Urgently need a hand :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way to do this is in my opinion:
Set the sphere in the center of an xyz-axis system with the axis of the cilinder the y-axis. (for example)
Now consider just the first quadrant in the xy-axis system.
You should know that you can make a function of the curve you see ( f(x)= sqrt( (a^2)/4 - x^2 ) )

To find the volume of the cylinder inside the sphere you only have to rotate the function around the y-axis while integrating from 0 to a/4. Multiply by two and you have the total volume of the cylinder within the sphere.

I'm sure you will be able to solve it now ;).
Goodluck
 
Last edited: