Wacky trig. I am totally lost.

• Thread starter shyboyswin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost Trig
In summary, the problem involves finding the value of x in intersecting triangles. The solution does not require trigonometry, but rather relies on the concept of similar triangles. The only given information is that the angle opposite the 12 is twice the angle opposite the 6.
shyboyswin
Intersecting triangles.

Homework Statement

Find x

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3043/trighj0.png

Homework Equations

trig and inverse trig functions?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to solve this. When I try and use the trig that I know to find the lengths, I also end up having to depend on other variables.

The only thing I was able to find out is that the angle opposite the 12 is twice the that of the 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The TANGENT of the angle opposite 12 is twice the tangent of the angle opposite 6, if that's what you mean. But no trig necessary here. It's all similar triangles. Write down some relations you get from similarity.

Last edited:
Oh. Thanks for the tip. I got it now.

1. What is "wacky trig"?

"Wacky trig" is a term used to describe non-traditional or unconventional methods of solving trigonometry problems. It often involves thinking outside the box and using creative approaches to finding solutions.

2. Why is it important to understand "wacky trig"?

Understanding "wacky trig" can help you develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. It can also help you approach trigonometry problems from different angles and potentially find simpler or more efficient solutions.

3. How can I improve my understanding of "wacky trig"?

One way to improve your understanding of "wacky trig" is to practice solving different types of problems using unconventional methods. You can also seek out resources and tutorials specifically focused on "wacky trig" to learn new techniques and approaches.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using "wacky trig"?

While "wacky trig" can be a useful tool for problem-solving, it is important to remember that traditional methods are still the most widely accepted and reliable approaches in mathematics. Additionally, using unconventional methods may not always lead to the most accurate or precise solutions.

5. Can "wacky trig" be used in real-world applications?

Yes, "wacky trig" can be useful in real-world applications where traditional methods may not be applicable or efficient. It can also be used to quickly estimate solutions or to check the accuracy of traditional methods. However, it is important to use caution and verify the accuracy of solutions obtained through unconventional methods.