Want to see a one-of-a-kind car creation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Danger
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Danger
Gold Member
Messages
9,805
Reaction score
251
Since a few people have expressed curiosity when I mentioned a couple of things about my El Camino,
I figured that I might as well get the details out of the way all in one shot.
Here she be:











Volkswagon's-eye view :bugeye:


http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1336/danpics0330mz.jpg




side view showing built-in step so my 4'6" mother can get in (with help) :rolleyes:

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/1470/danpics0362ry.jpg




the only warning to would-be pests :rolleyes:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3461/danpics0340cd.jpg




proof of the above warning :biggrin:

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/9219/danpics0352td.jpg


It's a '76 El Camino frame-stacked on a '74 Jimmy chassis. The motor, as you can see, is a '76 Olds 455. A custom bell-housing mates it to a Chevy 350 Turbo tranny with manual valve body for driver-controlled shifting. A second custom plate attaches the GMC transfer case to the tranny. The transfer case has a differential built into it, so I don't have a 2-wheel-drive option; the shift lever either sends 70% to the back and 30% to the front, or splits it 50/50. The tires are 33" Trailblazers, and it'll chirp them going into 2nd gear in low-range. :biggrin:
As you can see, it needs a bit of body work.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That looks bloody cool old chap, I'd love to see it in the flesh!

I think I'm going to base my 10 year plan around moving to the US with work so that I can buy something with a monstrous V8 and not feel guilty! A work colleague moved over there in January, and has now got a Mustang for his runabout, and an AC Cobra for a project, mwhaha!
 
Danger, maybe you should resize your image. I resized it here: http://www.mwnx.net/users/mac/PF%20photo%20contest/Snapshot%202006-05-21%2012-02-38.tiff
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Mk;
I did actually resize all but one. The reason that I left it full sized is that the sticker didn't show up when I tried to shrink it. Yours looks good, though. Thanks.